Author Topic: allotment holders in greater belfast area  (Read 3230 times)

stevie gee

allotment holders in greater belfast area
« on: March 29, 2011, 23:12:35 »
Hi,

I'm looking to get in touch with allotment holders in the Belfast, Greater Belfast area of N.Ireland.
I'm doing a project this year on allotments, it's about being an allotment holder and what this means to you.

I particularly want to hear from people who has an allotment in Eden, just outside Carrickfergus.

All the best from Belfast

stevie gee

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: allotment holders in greater belfast area
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:37:01 »
Best of luck SG, I think lottie holders are few and far between because of the very high prices in NI.    :-\
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

stevie gee

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:22:26 »
Hi,

I was thinking that myself but are they that more expensive than the mainland, council allotments would be £50 a year at most although there is a long waiting list to get one, private allotments I'm not sure about.
But the site at Eden has 4 fields filled with plots with one field dedicated to organic growing.

Theres sites at Annadale, Ards, Belmont and of course Eden, that's the four big ones I know about but I'm sure theres more and if anybody knows of anymore please let me know.

Good luck everybody

stevie gee

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 17:13:01 »
There was a thread on here, someone willl find it, about NI allotments not being available and having to use private land where they charge hundreds.  
Ive just bumped the NI thread to the top for u SG.      ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 17:16:45 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

stevie gee

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 18:14:07 »
Thanks cornykev,

Theres more to what I'm trying to do here than the money side of things, I want to focus on the allotment holders themselves, how they feel about bringing the land back to life after the winter months, what it means to have an allotment.

I know everybody here could give me an answer that's why I'm focussing on my local area.

From my past experience of allotment holders I find you all good honest hard working people

Is it too early in the year to start a project like this or should I wait until the summer months.

All the best

stevie gee

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 18:19:38 by stevie gee »

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 19:33:21 »
Will Email friends in Larne and see if they know of any one you can contact ;)
m j gravell

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal