Author Topic: when does purple sprouting broccoli finish?  (Read 2505 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
when does purple sprouting broccoli finish?
« on: March 24, 2011, 19:14:27 »
I'm just trying to plan what to plant after the PSB has finished, but not sure when that'll be!

It's just started sprouting, which is very exciting as I've never grown it before!
gone to pot :D

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: when does purple sprouting broccoli finish?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 19:26:42 »
Depends on your location and the weather. Mine will go on into May with a bit of luck.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 20:23:19 »
And how much you keep picking it! If you let it start to flower it is soon over.  :(
From an expert ;D ;D ;D who hasn't any this year as the cold killed it ??? ??? ???!

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 20:40:26 »
It tends to run to flower too quickly if/when the weather gets properly hot.    

If yours is only just starting to crop, and the weather doesn't get boiling in April, you should certainly get plenty of spears into May, I would have thought. It normally crops for at least couple of months or more, depending on variety and how patient you are at picking the increasingly small spears.

I've got white sprouting just about to start cropping, looking forward to that.  :)

Enjoy your psb - there is nothing like the taste of your first ever crops!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 08:51:17 »
Pumpkinlover - I have a few small PSBs which have survived this winter - snow for over a month and -25C - so don't despair.  There are some varieties which are hardy enough.  Unfortunately I no longer have the seed packet to tell you which mine is but I bought it on a raid on Wisley last year whilst passing through to see rellies.
Obxx - Vendée France

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 17:41:44 »
Depends on the variety and the weather. Certainly till April, maybe till May.

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 21:32:14 »
Pumpkinlover - I have a few small PSBs which have survived this winter - snow for over a month and -25C - so don't despair.  There are some varieties which are hardy enough.  Unfortunately I no longer have the seed packet to tell you which mine is but I bought it on a raid on Wisley last year whilst passing through to see rellies.

It must be varieties that make the difference. My brussels have been superb when other peoples on the plots were poor. But all other brassicas died except one cauliflower- that's going to taste good!
My psb was Red Arrow- bit of a dissapointment ???

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:54:49 »
Thanks for the replies. So it should be gone before I need to put the half-hardy stuff out then by the sound of it. Which is good as I was beginning to wonder where I could put them!
gone to pot :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 08:18:40 »
And how much you keep picking it! If you let it start to flower it is soon over.  :(
From an expert ;D ;D ;D who hasn't any this year as the cold killed it ??? ??? ???!
We have three left out of 24...  :(

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 20:21:25 »
Most of us lost ours in the severe frost over winter.

What ever you do. Keep on harvesting it. The moment yellow flowers appear it is done.

It should last out the whole of Arpril, if you keep picking it.  After that it is a matter of luck

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 21:12:28 »
My bog standard PSB survived fine but we only got down to -11. It has no fancy name and I've been using the same packet of seed for years. Our biggest problem in the east is drought especially since most of this winters plants are in raised beds. Picking now and should give us a good month of gluttonry in Lent when I do no food or shopping [except milk because my 99 yr old mum lives with me].Asparagus is shooting but that's off topic... And yes I expect to put squash toms in when its over. Happy cropping , enjoy :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal