Author Topic: Chicken coop/run plans ?  (Read 1536 times)

mentallot

• Half Acre
Chicken coop/run plans ?
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:38:03 »
Hi all,

Has anyone tried the chickencoop plans book/cds advertised fairly cheap - or is that cheep? ;) on eBay, or have other plans to hand that could be shared ? Or even any do's and don'ts.

I have a few ideas after loads of reading and poking around but always willing to reuse others ideas.

Many thanks

jonny211

• Acre
Re: Chicken coop/run plans ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 17:24:42 »
I didn't use any plans for mine and they're still standing after 4 years!

I based mine on the timber I used, for example shiplap came in lengths of 1.2m so it's 1.2m wide and 60cm across, funnily enough the same size as a sheet of plywood used for the floor and ceiling :)

One thing I wouldn't do again is make a double skinned house, the inner was 3mm plywood... red mite gets between the skins and you'd have to rip it out. Also next time I may put the structural bits on the outside to again reduce the places where mites can hide.

I found onduline works best for a roof, I started with a plywood roof but it leaked, then the clear corrugated plastic but that cracked and blew off but onduline seems tougher.

Ummm think that's it, apart from maybe on the bottom add some bits of wood across the base to give somewhere to screw cup hooks in for feeders.

Cheers!

Jon

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 17:26:25 by jonny211 »

mentallot

• Half Acre
Re: Chicken coop/run plans ?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 18:30:55 »
thanks Jonny, input always helpful

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal