Author Topic: Community Garden Users Agreement  (Read 2847 times)

anderstonjim

Community Garden Users Agreement
« on: March 23, 2011, 22:17:51 »
I appreciate it's probably bad manners to join and immediately ask for help but I find myself in need of something which I suspect some of you have at you fingertips - or will know where I can find it. I've done a search of the forum but without success.

I'm involved with a community vegetable garden in Glasgow and I'm looking for a users' agreement or a form of words that we can reasonable ask people joining the group to sign up to.

I imagine it'll be pretty basic stuff but I'd welcome other folks input on what else we should be considering. An acceptance of opening hours, no smoking, swearing or drinking, looking after communal tools and areas, no unaccompanied children is the kind of thing we're thinking about.

Have you done this before and would be happy to share or do you know where I might look?

Thanks in anticipation.

Jim

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Community Garden Users Agreement
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 22:49:02 »
Hello Jim, Welcome to A4A.  Perfectly reasonable question, no need to apologise.

There's no magic involved.  Just write down the rules you want your members to keep.  It's the same situation as with any other sports or social club.  Do bear in mind though that if a member breaks a rule you'll have to enforce it somehow or other, and the tone of the rules will also establish the tone of the group so you might want to keep it light.

The Scottish Allotments and Gardens Society may also be able to help, although what you're describing is not an allotment as such so there will be differences, but even so.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

anderstonjim

Re: Community Garden Users Agreement
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 23:48:06 »
Thanks. That's part of the challenge - keeping a light touch whilst ensuring the user group behaves well. It's in the middle of a very residential area.

I'll contact the Scottish Allotments and Gardens Society tomorrow.

Jim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal