Author Topic: Lay out of allotments  (Read 4757 times)

nolandyet/nowwedo

• Not So New ...
Lay out of allotments
« on: March 27, 2011, 21:34:46 »
Today I learned our society may have found an acre of land to rent for allotments.
The land in question is square in shape. Is there a standard layout of plots/half plots and where could I find detailed information on this. Fingers crossed (may have to change my forum name).
Rich...

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Lay out of allotments
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 21:27:36 »
Hi Rich - As far as I can see plots come in all shapes and sizes.

Ours are narrow strips between 2m and 4m wide, which is not ideal. One is a wedge shape along one perimeter fence, others on site are wide oblongs or even square. I personally think wider is better, you can feel you escape into the plot, whereas you're always gardening right next to someone on a narrow plot, and it's harder to shelter it.

My starting point would be to consider pathways/access to plots. I think a site needs at least one central wide access path, ideally possible to drive down (for maintenance/delivering manure etc). Ideally all plots will open onto such a track.

Some sites offer large (eg 10 rod) plots, plus half plots, plus even smaller starter plots. You might want to offer a mix like that too.

I hope that's some help. Someone who's done the job of planning a new site might be along soon too. My observations are purely as a user :)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 21:57:52 »
To gove you an idea, if it's a square site an acre in size, then if you laid out 12 plots either side of a central path each plot would be around 5 pole in area, and one pole wide, and that sounds about right to me.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 22:17:34 »
1 acre = 160 rod

usually this means 14 x 10 rod plots per acre, with roadways / access tracks/paths. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 00:41:04 »
I wish you folks would talk in yards, or even metres-poles and rods are gobbledegook!  Nice to hear you may have to change your name- I remember the excitement-hope it works out for you....

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 07:29:37 »
Rods and poles are traditional for allotments, but they do rather nicely work out at about 250 sq mtres for a 10 pole lottie if that helps or about 300 square yards. 

Most people on our site are happy with half plots.  How many people are on the waiting list? 

picman

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:11:29 »
I would suggest  4m by 30m plots not including paths or shed, providing half plots should be considered , also a strongly fenced boundary...

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 13:43:35 »
Rods and poles are traditional for allotments, but they do rather nicely work out at about 250 sq mtres for a 10 pole lottie if that helps or about 300 square yards. 

it's 325 square yards for 10 poles / rods
You couldn't make it up!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 13:53:51 »

it's 325 square yards for 10 poles / rods
D'oh!  302.5 square yards == 10 poles/rods/perches/lugs.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

nolandyet/nowwedo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 14:09:34 »
Thankyou for your replies and advice. There are about 20 people on the waiting list ,some only requiring half plots so we should be able to accomodate most of them. Must get some graph paper.
All the best
Rich.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 15:01:46 »

D'oh!  302.5 square yards == 10 poles/rods/perches/lugs.

oops, decimal place error, not as expensive as a certain supermarket's petrol pumps were!!

yes, it's 302.5 square yards per ten rods
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal