Author Topic: Pond snails  (Read 4483 times)

Toadspawn

• Acre
Pond snails
« on: March 21, 2011, 22:26:14 »
Does anyone have any idea how I can remove/drastically reduce (to the point of elimination) the water snails in my wildlife pond. There are too many to pick out by hand and there are so many small ones that are easily missed.

Currently other occupants include frog tadpoles (until they are eaten) newts, dragon fly larvae, large diving beetle, other water beetles, water boatmen, leeches and presumably a lot of other things. I do not want to damage them. However, it would be nice if this year a few of the tadpoles managed to make it to the frog stage. I hope to acquire some toadspawn and/or toad tadpoles and/or mating toads.

elhuerto

• Acre
Re: Pond snails
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:38:33 »
I was reading up on snails yesterday as somebody suggested introducing a couple to our pond. I'm not going to but one article I read suggested dangling a carrot in the water. This apparently attracts the snails, you can then take it out, strip all the snails from it and then repeat. I have no idea if this works but I guess it can't do much harm.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:33:09 »
We cleared out over a 100 from a small pond just using a childs seaside net with a long handle, will probably get a load more as soon as we can get out to the pond again(shortage of time).

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 15:14:53 »
I put six in my little pond last year and I havent seen them since  ???

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 13:49:13 »
not had many in my pond never gets out of control
i don't belive death is the end

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal