Author Topic: cordless drill  (Read 2058 times)

superdupa

• Not So New ...
cordless drill
« on: March 22, 2011, 18:37:11 »
Please help,my trusty cordless drill,  draper 14 volt from Wilkinson,will  not hold its charge anymore and I need a new one,don't want to pay a fortune as I always leave it at the lottie,has anyone come across any good deals have checked the price of a new battery and its £20 including delivery .

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: cordless drill
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 18:45:43 »
The outlet I have found for a cheap cordless drill is 'Argos', but you get what you pay for, :)

Uncle Monty

• Not So New ...
  • Flowers are essentially tarts Prostitutes for bees
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 22:38:50 »
b&q cordless drill driver a tenner
There is, you'll agree, a certain 'je ne sais quoi' oh, so very special about a firm, young carrot

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 22:58:14 »
or buy a ryobi one+ and you'll always be able to get batteries and ton's of other tools that take the same......

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 22:58:27 »
What Mr Smith said.  I paid £200 for my driver/drill DeWalt 18V combo, and it's done some serious work for me.  I'd have thought £20 for a battery was a sound investment.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 00:20:22 »
a few years i got one from argos £9.99 used many times for jobs on the plot, a very handy tool to have, and it does what it says on the box

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 13:53:25 »
Have you considered using NiMH rechargeables in a Maplins battery holder with a 15A flex connect to the drill?

NiMHs are much better than the NiCad batteries in a cheap drill.

It's generally easy to connect wires (solder well!!) to the old battery pack and lead them out, and as long as you get the voltage (!!!!)  and polarity right (!!!!!!!) you don't even have to disconnect or remove the old contents - though I'd definitely recommend you do - less to carry and especially less arm strain.

You could of course solder your wires straight to the connectors in the grip of the drill - though that leaves a yawning gap at the bottom.

Very cheap, put the battery in a rucksack or waist pack and you're better balanced  than you were before.

Use the batteries in other stuff when you're not drilling (but keep them well charged) - simple.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

superdupa

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 17:59:50 »
thanks for the replies and I'm going too wait until either aldi,lidl or netto have the drills on offer as they are usually 18v for £20 if anyone spots these please let me know

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal