Author Topic: pet insurance ?????  (Read 3159 times)

steve76

• Acre
pet insurance ?????
« on: March 18, 2011, 19:03:28 »
 Hi all
The wife has brough me a 9 week springer a couple of days ago as a early birthday present and i would like to have insurance for him but there's so many out there, has anyone got any recommendations please...

Thanks Steve.

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
Re: pet insurance ?????
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 16:28:57 »
Hi Steve congratulations on having a new puppy. There are a couple of things you really need to watch for when buying pet insurance. Make sure firstly that the insurance will cover the anilmal for the whole of its life. Some insurances only cover till the pet is 8.Make sure the cover covers an illness for the life of the pet and not just for the first year it is diagnosed. If a policy looks cheap and too good to be true it normally is.....so beware. Check to see what you are covered for and that includes alternative medicine and remember vetinary treatment is improving all the time and more things can be done for a pet now than ever before. These procedures come at a high price so unlimited cover could be the way to go. I know Petplan are good but be prepared to pay a premuim for it.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 17:50:13 »
Ooooh, a new puppy!  Any photos?

As for insurance, my two dogs have been with Petplan since they were puppies, they are now 11 and 13 years of age.

I pay £80 monthly for them and have only ever claimed once for each dog.  The excess is around £100 and as most trips to the vet are less than that, there is no point in claiming.

Graham had to have a minor operation on his gum recently and have his teeth cleaned.  The total bill was £235.  The insurance does not cover dental work, (about £130)  No point in claiming £5.

Of course, it's easy for me to look back and realise what a waste of money it's been, but the fear of either of them needing costly veterinary treatment in the future means I will continue to pay.  

If I were to have another puppy, I would seriously think of saving the money in the bank and just hope that they didn't need treatment before the money had built up.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:22:54 »
Betty I dont have pet insurance for the reasons you mentioned in your post. Most vet visits do not qualify for a claim (either being not covered or not reaching the excess amount). I have six cats and put money aside for them each month. My cats are indoor cats. Friends of ours that have 19 cats have them all insured with petplan (they have a lot of money) and their top show boy and love of their lives developed lymphatic cancer. The policy paid for him to be treated at the best vet college in the country with the most advanced medicines. He is doing really well two years later and his treatment is well over 15,000 pounds which has all been covered. So I suppose there is good and bad. Really though i think its down to luck.

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 20:49:16 »
Thanks for the replies, there so confusing all the different policy's.
I'm thinking of putting an amount away each month as well....... but there is the chance you would need it sooner!!!!! still thinking on it.

Thanks all.

mentallot

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 15:11:45 »
My dog needed a trip to the vet recently for a swelling between pads.
The initial visit was around 2 weeks before the period of cover ended. A week of antibiotics then a very small scheduled operation. The insurer refused to cover the op as it fell the day after cover ended, even though it was part of the same treatment and should have been covered. (If you're fixing your car and the respray is the day after cover ends you end up with an unpainted car .... !)

And we're still waiting for the promised cheque. When we rang it had been authorised and would be with us within 14 (yes 14) working days. Didn't arrive so they cancelled and are issuing another one - another 14 working days.

We had already decided to change insurers due to exorbitant premium increase.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 15:20:09 »
Hi Steve,
I do not have insurance either. I have to budget the outgoings and income the same as a lot on here. Trouble is we think of the things and wonder how we will pay for them.
You have the best idea, and that is to put some away each month, if you do not need it, then you have a good holiday with the pet too.
If the other occurs then you treat the pet and say at least we have the pet still.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 15:33:48 »
My dog Vera has been having problems with her eyes and has been diagnosed as having Dry Eye.  The vet prescribed some cream which she will probably have to have for the rest of her life.  It costs £46 for a tiny tube!

Today's bill was £167.

I'll let you know if Petplan pays up. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 15:37:11 »
I have been with Tesco but fortunately haven't had to claim so don't know how good they would be.  The premiums have risen rapidly over the years and I now pay £28.64 a month but then our springer is 11½ years old.  I have got other quotes but they are usually twice what I am paying.

Springers are loveable dogs and ours likes coming up on our laps for cuddles.  They can be mischievous though and ours managed to dig up some of our ceramic tiles when she was a puppy.  They need a lot of exercise too especially when they are younger.  Fortunately we have a paddock and she used to run around it several times to burn off energy.  These days she has arthritis and doesn't go very far or at any speed.  

I hope you post some photos of your new puppy.  What colour is he and what is his name?  Springers are definitely my favourite dogs.  

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 15:50:19 »
Squash..is that £46 tube of cream..'artificial' tear drops?
Reason I'm asking is that my friends terrier had Dry Eye problem and they were first paying that much per month for tiny tube as well.
She told me that she started to buy same stuff from pharmacy..but as human medicine..and that costs her about £5!!!!!...the trick is not to tell on counter that it is for dog..or they will not sell it to you. ::) She was buying for her 'granny' instead :-X ;D
If you want I can find out what brand it was.
Chemical is exactly same as in vet medicine..

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 16:18:25 »
Squash..is that £46 tube of cream..'artificial' tear drops?
Reason I'm asking is that my friends terrier had Dry Eye problem and they were first paying that much per month for tiny tube as well.
She told me that she started to buy same stuff from pharmacy..but as human medicine..and that costs her about £5!!!!!...the trick is not to tell on counter that it is for dog..or they will not sell it to you. ::) She was buying for her 'granny' instead :-X ;D
If you want I can find out what brand it was.
Chemical is exactly same as in vet medicine..

It is Optimmune eye ointment.  It is supposed to help the gland to produce tears. I just googled it and it is much cheaper online, but still over £30.
Thanks for telling me about the human stuff, I never thought of doing that.   I'll see how we get on with Petplan first.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal