Author Topic: Width of Grass Paths - trouble at the allotment :-(  (Read 9099 times)

NightWish

• Not So New ...
Width of Grass Paths - trouble at the allotment :-(
« on: March 18, 2011, 17:07:33 »
Please treat me gently, this is my first post!

Our allotments are divided by grass paths, for which each plot holder is responsible.  Now I'll admit that I've not always kept my edges as neat as I should, but this year I thought I'd make an effort; even bought some long handled shears!

I used my edge cutter to make a straight edge, based on aligning it with the next plot (the edge of the plot the other side being completely wonky.

However, the plot holder the other side has seriously taken umbridge - to the extent of replacing the sods that I'd turned over and firming them down, because he says the path is now too narrow between our plots.

The path is 2.5 feet wide.  Other paths measure between 3.5 an just under 2 feet. 

I also know that my plot is somewhat less than my 5 rods, whilst his has extended in all directions to be far more than 5 rods.

The whole path/plot size thing is a mess on our site, squares have turned into rectangles and the paths are wiggling all over the place. 

I'm loath to replace the sods - on principal, but also because I could do with the space.

As I think he's going to complain to the council, I was wondering what kind of width you'd think reasonable?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Width of Grass Paths - trouble at the allotment :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 17:29:05 »
Personally,I think that the path is wide enough if you can walk down it pushing a wheelbarrow!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 17:34:35 »
i,m finding after years of having no edges  the soil this year after a colder winter is crumbling 
i don't belive death is the end

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 17:37:31 »
Hello NightWish and welcome to A4A.

We are lucky enough to have paths made of paving slabs 2 ft wide between every two plots.  Nobody has ever complained that 2ft. isn't wide enough.
Good luck with your neighbour!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 17:41:25 »
Our tenancy agreement states that grass paths shall be 27 inches wide.

In reality they vary, many being more than 27 inches .... some are 3 feet+.

However, nobody tends to bother about the actual widths.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 17:43:12 by BAK »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 17:50:05 »
As long as other paths on the site are narrower, and aren't being disputed, I don't think he's got much of a complaint. In that position I'd find a way to disappear the turves.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 17:58:53 »
What does your tenancy agreement say Nightwish, as said as long as you can get a wheelbarrow down it, it the geezer does report you to the council and they contact you get them to measure your plots, if its true what you say then the geezers on a loser, oh I forgot welcome to A4A.    ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 18:16:26 »
Hi Nightwish and welcome. Your site sounds similar to mine our plots are all different sizes and the paths vary from 2 to 7 feet there is no set width in our rule book, and we are all supposed to mow/tidy our own plot as always some do not ::)  I would also say 2.5 feet should be acceptable and wide enough for a barrow.I have however noticed on our site it seems the longer the plot holder has been there the smaller the paths get, I guess this is down to re trimming edges and maybe ever more ambitious veg lists, but don't we all! ;D ;D ;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 18:35:26 »
Hi NightWish, welcome to A4A.

I guess it's one of those things that can get people feeling territorial.  Discretion being the better part of valour it might be wise to reinstate the turves and apologise for any offence, and then have a nice chat with the neighbour about it next year.  Trimming up a ragged edge is one thing, but reclaiming a bit of your plot always has the potential to niggle.  Never mind.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 18:51:37 »
I would suggest replacing the turves and then using bacon slicing techniques to gradually reduce the width of the path an inch at a time.  I should have thought you were entitled to align with adjoining plots.  I would suggest your neighbour does not like change.

Our path have to be wide enough for a lawn mower.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 19:05:42 »
I'm just so pleased I have such nice neighbours/friends at the allotment.  I go to my allotment to enjoy, not get into a fight about grass paths, life is too short.  OH did moan that he couldn't get the motor mower down the side path as was blocked with wooden compost box from next door allotment but then he has a degree in moaning. Some of my grass paths are getting broader and broader.  :( :( :( :(  We did have a measuring thing that actually meant some people had to change the paths, but the Council actually gave me the wrong shape allotment, but common sense prevailed and they let me keep it (my lovely fruit trees) and the new bloke's allotment now goes in an L shape, but he is quite happy and I did say that if the Council wanted to correct their mistake, I would have to live with it. It is a long story, they gave me an allotment, then said I couldn't have it, and to choose another one, but from the plan I saw I could have the one I couldn't have, only wanted half an allotment, but they gave me a whole one and I have paid for it for 7 years.  Then when they checked found the boundaries were all wrong, but it is sorted now (I hope), if they take the end half away, they will owe my half the rent for 7 years.  7 years ago no-one wanted allotments like they do now, but we have had the boundaries marked which is good.  Apparently I am responsible for one path one side, but not the other, but no-one seems to know which, and no problems so far.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 19:09:45 »
Birmingham have recently said that path between plots must be 2ft wide. Thank heaven our are.Make sense really when you have to get a barrow up em
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 19:57:50 »
Less than two feet becomes a major pain. I tried 18 inches between beds, and it got to be a real hindrance when I needed to get a barrow through.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 20:07:47 »
Footpaths now should be 1.2 mts, near enough 4ft to allow wheelchair access.
Personally would not be whatinfacted to get into an argument over a bit of grass.
Don't you people talk to each other and find out what is amenable to each other.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

NightWish

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 20:24:01 »
I agree life is too short to argue over this.  I was bewildered by the whole thing.  The current path is 2.5 ft wide, which most respondents seem to think is adequate (wheel-chair accessible plots have been made available along the "main drag").  I've trimmed of off between 1 and 6 inches to make a nice straight line.
I don't think that anything short of putting it all back another six inches is going to pacify the guy.  Um.m  Perhaps we could do 3 inches on both sides. 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 20:35:22 »
Welcome to A4A NightWish...  :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 20:41:53 »
I've checked on the NSALG advice I received at the recent training day and I'm sorry to say NightWish that they recomend 1.4 metres :-[
To me that seems ridiculous, it is to enable wheelchair access. So that does not help your case I'm afraid.
I try to get adjacent plot holders to sort this sort of thing out themselves and only get involved when the dispute is over the length of the plot. It might be worth speaking to your secretary, but it might be worth putting up with it as it's always better to get on with your neighbours. Only you know the site enough to decide.
Welcome to A4A :)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 21:43:27 »
You're next steps depend on how much you wish to be neighbourly.  I might be inclined to barrow up all the turves which have been replaced - assuming on 'my' side of the path and put them in the compost bin.  Otherwise you might have a chat with him and explain your intent and ask some questions to find out more about his.  If you are both able to do this calmly, you may find that you have a common purpose; just going about in different ways.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal