Author Topic: Pond plant restocking  (Read 3592 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Pond plant restocking
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:16:17 »
I'm looking to get some new plants for the Spring for the pond, mainly to provide some cover / shade. Obviously going to get a couple of lilies but anyone have any other suggestions - preferably hardy?
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Pond plant restocking
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 08:18:32 »
We have 3 different sorts of iris (not the yellow one) buttercup and soapwort as well as the lillies.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 08:36:59 »
Thanks, I have 3 irises too, two mauve and one yellow I think. Soapwort is poisonous, isn't it?
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:19:22 »
Thanks, I have 3 irises too, two mauve and one yellow I think. Soapwort is poisonous, isn't it?
Don't know about poisonous. We don't eat it ;D.
Its a delicate little plant with pink sweet smelling flowers. Apparently there are several species.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:29:29 by shirlton »
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 14:17:55 »
If you want fast and CHEAP - try dropping in a few handfuls of watercress (as you buy for salads from the supermarket). It grows really quickly and is an excellent 'scrubber' for helping to keep the water clear. It will not last the winter, but for a few bits of salad that you may otherwise have chucked out it seems to be great value!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 17:05:43 »
I love marsh marigolds (Caltha palustris)

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 18:12:53 »
Water cress is a good idea, it's not something I've bought so will have to see if it's available locally. One of the few plants I do have is a marsh marigold, the yellow bud is just forming now and the bright green leaves are lusher than anything else that survived the winter. I have ordered a couple of lilies from Silverthorpe Aquatics and put some barley straw in at the weekend so hopefully it'll all look a bit better this year.

OberonUK

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 16:44:58 »
Water cress is a good idea, it's not something I've bought so will have to see if it's available locally.

Try a bag of watercress and spinach salad from Tescos. It roots in days if you shove some in aquatic compost or just bung it loose in the water/ Tin white flowers and an edible crop too!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal