Author Topic: sunflowers  (Read 1927 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
sunflowers
« on: February 01, 2011, 21:20:00 »
I have bought several packets of sunflower seeds with a view to attracting bees and then birds when they seed. Has anyone had success with this? Is it better to start them off in seed trays?

pumkinlover

Re: sunflowers
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 21:42:40 »
I would use individual pots or modules then pot on. Last year was the first year this worked for me with the birds I think the cold weather made the difference. Usually they seem to be able to find other food easily and do not bother. Looks lovely though lots of sunflower growers on our site.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 18:12:46 »
Welcome, plotstoeat, if no-one has said it yet. I always start a few off in pots, but  since I've been growing sunflowers for years I get self-set seedlings every year - I just transplant to where I want them. Once the heads are ripe I distribute them around my garden, hang some from trees, last year I wedged one in the fork of an apple tree which was very successful with the squirrels..... >:(

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 18:45:07 »
I grow lots of sunflowers, six varieties this year!  :) 
I sow mine direct in the ground as I really have no room to start them all off in pots. 
The bees love them, as do the birds including parakeets which chomped through several flower heads last year! 
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 19:01:02 »
Aldi. and Lidl they do great packs a pack of 6 less than a £1
m j gravell

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 20:57:05 »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'll try starting them off in 3" pots as several of you suggest. Last time I sowed them direct they never came up. I'm still finding my way around this site but I'm very impressed with what I have seen so far.

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 20:38:55 »
I am ready to sow my seeds now and will start some off in the GH as suggested but I bought some more packets for 19p each so I will also sow some direct in the soil. Any advice or tips would be welcome e.g. soil preparation, scatter or rows, transplanting, protection from birds etc.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal