Author Topic: Marnel Park Allotments, Basingstoke  (Read 3950 times)

mad_abbot

• Not So New ...
Marnel Park Allotments, Basingstoke
« on: April 05, 2011, 14:48:10 »
Hi all,

Just after a bit of help and advice.

My mother-in-law had her name down for a new allotment plot on the newly developed Marnel Park (used to be Popley Fields) in Basingstoke, she had been allocated a plot number and was waiting for the paperwork when, aftewr calling the allotment officer, she was informed she could not have a plot as she didn't live on Marnel Park. She is understandably devastated!

Obviously there are S106 agreements in place but are they able to exclude local residents? Especially when the North Basingstoke Action Plan has it's first bullet point as "•The successful integration of facilities for the new and existing communities."

I'm going to try and speak to the allotments officer (already verbally jousted with the dragon that defends the castle!) and petition the local councillor, any other ideas?

Many thanks

p.s. my 1 yr old allotment is going well and the clay is already starting to be eased by last years hard work.

pumkinlover

Re: Marnel Park Allotments, Basingstoke
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 13:32:13 »
Sorry unable to help but it does seem to be something that is happening  now, I guess the council can decide whether they want to let peoples from out the area to use the plots now there is such a lot of people wanting plots.

Yesterday a new tenant asked me if I wanted her to use the name on her counc ???il tax form or the name she usually uses? :-\  I had never thought of that one before :-[ :D

All our members live in Chesterfield but not all in our area, however most do.

May be that will be the next bandwagon estate agents will jump on.

"House for Sale- in catchment area for ********  allotments" :-[

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 18:33:54 »
As I do not know the local geography I am not sure that I fully understand what you are saying.

At our site, run by the Parish Council, priority is given to residents of the parish so long as there is a waiting list. People outside the parish remain at the bottom of the list, ie people inside the parish will leapfrog them even though they join the list later. While this may appear harsh to any individual concerned it is only fair in the current climate of high demand.

If your mother-in-law, albeit she is outside the area, was led to believe that she would be getting a plot before being let down, then the council was at fault in failing to make clear their rules.

There is no general rule on the subject of waiting lists ... each council can decide what its own rules are. However, any rules should be clear and transparent and they should be applied assiduously in all cases.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:15:58 »
Hi mad_abbot.  Yes, the council can makes rules about who is elligable to be a tenant.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal