Author Topic: is this safe  (Read 4798 times)

ACE

• Hectare
is this safe
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:52:11 »
Although I have protection on my computor. A message flashed up this morning from windows saying that my computor was infected . I could erase the infection by clicking the erase now button. I was then told that the programme was not verified so I did not do it, the number on the little message said www1.unifws-safe.in, I googled this but nothing was found. the computor is still working but I don't know if anything is going on in the depths of the workings. I was researching something on our local council site at the time of the message, so it was not a dodgy site.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: is this safe
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:59:56 »
We had a email from the council yesterday and my AVG stopped me from opening it. Also had an email from AVG for a quick fix but everytime I clicked on the link I got an oops message broken link. After that I couldn't access any internet but it ok this morning.  ???
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:53:34 »
I had a strange message yesterday saying that there was a virus found on a CD which was in my pc. This disc is a family history one (Sussex Marriages) which I have had and used for several years - I ignored it!!!!

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:55:13 »
Ws - meant to go on to say that if we are all AVG, are they trying to get us to upgrade to a paid version????

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:56:31 »
Never click on a (non own virus program)  pop up message re: your computer is infected - it is false and will install a virus or tracking software on your PC.

The only messages which are valid are ones from your own virus checking program, not "windows" or other companies!!!

ACE - Ensure your Virus checker is up to date.  Run and full scan of your PC and hope you didn't get far enough to have the virus installed

My other half is spending much of his time at the mo removing these kind of virus's from peoples PC's...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:02:28 by mat »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:15:21 »

ACE - Ensure your Virus checker is up to date.  Run and full scan of your PC and hope you didn't get far enough to have the virus installed

Updated on startup each morning, I did not open/ download anything. Got caught once before on this. That is why I was wary. It looked so convincing though.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 08:19:49 »

Updated on startup each morning, I did not open/ download anything. Got caught once before on this. That is why I was wary. It looked so convincing though.

Beware, even clicking on the "X" in the top right corner of the pop-up is enough to install the malware.  My brother-in-law got caught by this last week, and his laptop is being professionally restored even as we speak!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:30:53 »
Beware, even clicking on the "X" in the top right corner of the pop-up is enough to install the malware.  My brother-in-law got caught by this last week, and his laptop is being professionally restored even as we speak!

With these pop ups always hit Ctrl Alt and Delete and end from Task manager rather than clicking anywhere on the pop up window. AVG has a notice on their website about a rogue AVG problem see
http://viruslab.blog.avg.com/2011/01/be-aware-of-rogue-security-software.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+avg_top_threats+%28AVG+%7C+Top+Threats%29
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:46:36 »
Just recently an online ad distributer got hacked and ended up serving ads containing malware (fake AV) to millions of people.
What is worse is that it took a while for AVG and the like to play catch up and some AV progs failed to recognise all the varients.  Hence I got several machines infected at work, as people browsed perfectly innocent sites, before our AV kicked in and prevented infection...
It is pretty easy to remove but a pain in the backside..
So ACE you did the right thing but no site can be concidered safe if the bloody ad companies are hacked..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 09:39:42 »
Teh easy way to avoid this sort of problem is to stop using windows and install one of the easier Linux distros as an OS... I use Mandriva at home but Ubuntu and Suse are pretty popular....

chrisc

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 14:26:06 »
I was waiting for chriscross1966 to chime in with the linux option!! ;)
The issue here is that as windows has become much more secure in terms of progs running under admin with no permission etc  that malware authors have to resort to social engineering to spread the good word (ie get you to infect your own PC)  In these cases the maware writers could easily compile the same sort of thing for linux and if you can get people to click on the ads or fake AV you can still infect a linux PC.  Howeve no one who runs Linux is going to fall for the fake AV thing as you wouldnt have AV in the first place!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 16:40:18 »
My daughters lap top had a message saying she had a virus, we took it to our local PC bod and she sorted it out.   :-\
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 17:05:45 »
I've heard of a few people that have been caught out with this virus, most got rid of it easily by doing a full check in safe mode.

Linux is fine for just browsing and office stuff, but if you need to install anything that it doesn't come with it's extremely convoluted and complicated ofr the majority of users.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 18:08:53 »
Remember about 3 years ago having one of those messages and me being a bit computer thick  pressed it .....never again completely done my computer in
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 21:54:25 »
I was waiting for chriscross1966 to chime in with the linux option!! ;)
The issue here is that as windows has become much more secure in terms of progs running under admin with no permission etc  that malware authors have to resort to social engineering to spread the good word (ie get you to infect your own PC)  In these cases the maware writers could easily compile the same sort of thing for linux and if you can get people to click on the ads or fake AV you can still infect a linux PC.  Howeve no one who runs Linux is going to fall for the fake AV thing as you wouldnt have AV in the first place!!!

I don't  know about other Linux distro's but Ubuntu and it's derivatives do not allow you to run as admin, so just clicking on something will not allow it to install as it will then ask for the admin password (any Linux operator with any sense would then refuse and stop it in it's tracks). I have been using Ubuntu for five years with no virus problems.

When I now update my desktop to a later model, I disconnect the Windows HDD and connect my Ubuntu/Linux HDD. All my programs and data are already installed so I can carry on from where I left off. I can then sell on the old computer with a pristine Windows HDD for the new owner.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 18:02:20 »
You make an excellent point Larkshall! One which I wish windows/microsoft would emulate.
Virtually every windows box I come across runs as an admin user (outside the working world). I let one or two people run as admin at work and you can garantee they are the the ones that cause the most issues.  Win 7 is much better than XP for this but sooo many peeps are still on unpatched XP machines..as admins!!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 15:03:02 »
Linux is fine for just browsing and office stuff, but if you need to install anything that it doesn't come with it's extremely convoluted and complicated ofr the majority of users.

That is not correct, Ubuntu and it's derivatives have repositories which are tested and checked for compatibility of software applications. You download from these sites (there are thousands of applications available) and you will have no problems, what is more, they are all free.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 16:39:47 »
Ws - meant to go on to say that if we are all AVG, are they trying to get us to upgrade to a paid version????

I pay for my AVG....but i still get the odd virus getting through!!...including the fake virus ones!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal