Author Topic: Aldi Walk In Greenhouse  (Read 9376 times)

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
Aldi Walk In Greenhouse
« on: March 06, 2011, 21:05:28 »
Hello all,

I was in Aldi today and saw they have a 'Walk In Greenhouse' for sale at £29.99.  It didn't give dimensions, but said that it had four plant shelves.

My £99 B&Q polycarb greenhouse self destructed in the last set of strong winds - I'm wondering if this might be a good way to grow a few tomatoes on the allotment without needing a full size greenhouse.

Or are they £30 for a reason?  Obviously it won't stand up to gales, but I wouldn't expect to many of those during a growing season, and it could then be packed away.

Steve

lewic

• Hectare
Re: Aldi Walk In Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 21:12:49 »
I bought a similar one from Wilkinson for £39.99, it was fine for one season (albeit tied down very well!) but over the winter the cover started to develop small holes. It is also very easy to break the connectors between the poles, and I had to reinforce it with gaffer tape. I took it back to the shop and got a refund with a week to go on the warranty, so can't complain. Keep the receipt!

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 21:18:30 »
 ;D Whats the frame like on the B & G one like if it is savagable cover it with builders polythen it will last you years. I could tell you a couple of reasons not to buy this  green house and there be 10 who will tel lyou it is ok. I have a small 3 shelf one for the shed I use it in the summer to germinate seeds , and in the winter i use it to to store plants ready for the following year. to be honest I have bought a few ,and I ahould have saved my money ;D Post your seeds tomorrow
m j gravell

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 21:34:36 »
You might be able to get a few seasons out of it if you can put it in a sheltered spot in a corner and take the cover off in the winter.

Otherwise you will not get much use out of it.

And even sheltered, the plastic walls flap a lot and knock the plants about.

Start saving up for a proper greenhouse  :( is my advice.

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 21:48:44 »
I've got a 3 shelf one which is a bit rickety, I think I'll perhaps get another of those (£15 or so) for raising plants in the spring, and ignore Aldi's offerings.  As I recall the shelves lift out, which will give me some space to grow the tomatoes in once the seedlings move to the allotment.

mpdjulie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 23:29:39 »
We bought an hexagonal one from wilkos about 3 years ago.  It lasted about 3 months.  We found most of it wrapped around our apple tree.  There wasn't even any particularly strong winds either.  Total waste of money if you ask me.
Julie

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:06:55 »
I know several people who have bought different sized greenhouses and poly tunnels with this cover(its like a green check). They have all rotted during the first year.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:10:14 »
Ive had two of these sort of greenhouses.

The first lasted two seasons - just - and the cover was full of holes by the end.
I bought another on (one born every min) and I am now in the 2nd year with that - it looks much better and I expect to get another year out of it. 
Basically the really cheap ones will rot or fall over withing two years...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:36:23 »
Just bought one of these in Lidl - if its the same one it is quite sturdy and the plastic cover is white reinforced plastic, have put it in a sheltered spot and weighted it down with stones and ground pins - should last a season at least I reckon - for 39.99 I reckon its a good deal, does more than a cold frame.
Still annoyed though that I have a 10 x 8 greenhouse still in kit form after 3yrs, waiting for hubby to find time to put it together......... >:(

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:50:07 »
Blimey I bet you are annoyed birdsrfun !!! Can you get someone else to do it, a jobing gardener might want a bit of work (if you can afford to pay someone that is?)

cobnut

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 11:34:57 »
I bought one like this but it was ripped apart within a few months of use.  Totally useless.  I'd tied it down pretty well and it stayed in place but the wind got inside and whipped it up.  Where I live is very windy though so if your garden is sheltered you might be ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal