Author Topic: pumpkins  (Read 936 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
pumpkins
« on: August 07, 2011, 20:24:13 »
I have a few large green pumpkins still growing. Are they okay to eat before they turn orange? Is it best to pick them green or to leave them to ripen on the plant?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 21:06:45 »
They are not ripe until they turn orange....best to leave to ripen on the plant in my experience.

I would not try to eat them green
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Ophi

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 21:50:24 »
if you want to store them for the winter then they need to ripen on the plant.  If you fancy trying one now I think you would cook it in the same way you would a summer squash.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:34:18 »
Be aware that some pumpkins are green! It depends on the variety. I have found that the really orange ones have already turned a pale yellow shade once they start to grow. If they are big and green, I would say they will stay green! They tell you themselves when to pick them - when their stem is hard and dry and it will just detach from the vine with a small movement. I just picked one Turk's Turban, but they are precocious and that was the first fruit. Most of my pumpkins are not ready yet and won't be for another few weeks.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 21:38:01 »
Thanks for the advice folks. Okay I'll leave them to ripen but I'll need a wheelbarrow to get the big ones to my car!
Antipodes : I grew them from some seed I saved two years ago and they were orange ones called Halloween, so, unless they have cross pollinated with nearby cougettes they should be orange.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal