Author Topic: What size plot?  (Read 10581 times)

cobnut

• Not So New ...
What size plot?
« on: March 04, 2011, 14:17:43 »
I'm hoping to get an allotment this year but not sure what size to get.  I've been encouraged by the guys in charge of the place to take the full plot (0.25 acre) but they also offer 1/2 and 1/3 sizes too.  Their reasoning is that I can put down a bit of grass for the kids and shed and fruit trees etc so it doesn't all have to be veg.  I've not had one before - grown a few bits in my back garden but that's it.

Is this a mad idea?

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: What size plot?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 15:03:27 »
Hi Cobnut and welcome to A4A  :)  Loving the user name, will you be planting one?  ;D

Anyway, in answer to your question, I'd go for a large plot, plenty of room that way for some permanent planting like fruit. The plus side of fruit is that it doesn't take a lot of maintenance / work. And you'll be surprised how much room a shed, greenhouse, compost bins, water butts etc take up  :)

Anyway good luck whatever you choose  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 15:05:50 »
Take the full plot.  By the time you put on a shed,  greenhouse,  water butts, compost bin,  raspberry bushes,  strawberry beds,  at lease 1/4 will be full permanent.  If you find it is too much with a full one then you can always give half back to be reallocated.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 15:30:04 »
OK, I'll say that if you haven't got much experience, start with a half plot.

A full plot is a lot of hard work, you will need to be there quite a lot all year round bar the depths of winter.

It sounds idyllic: having a nice garden for the kids but in reality there is not much for them to do on any allotment and they soon get bored.

It can be surprisingly expensive to start up, what with buying a greenhouse, brassica cages, compost bins, a water butt, soil improvers, maybe even a rotovator to help manage a large plot, is that where you want to spend your money?

But yes, as someone who really wanted an allotment, I took a whole plot with a view to giving back half if it was too much.  So I'd advise anyone else to do the same.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 16:08:18 »
If you intend on growing a significant fraction of your vegetable requirements for the year (I do) then get the full size one.... between my three plots (two allotments and the garden) that's roughly what I've got adn you really can make yourself almsot independant of the supermarkets../.. THat said it takes a fair amount of time, and sometimes youdon't have a choice as to the weather when you have to do something.... You can keep the costs down by recycling stuff.... all the wood on the plot should be ex-pallet for starters.....

Unless your kids are mad keen gardeners too they will be bored, unless you can rig the shed with a portable telly that you bring down or they have PSP's etc...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 17:55:18 »
Get the full plot, as the guys in charge have said you can grass some for the kids, bored, years ago they invented swings, slides, sandpits etc, even a few small raised beds for the kids to grow in, or just dig for worms, go for it and by the time the kids grow out of it you can extend it, Strawberry beds take up a bit of room and kids do love picking and eating a Strawberry.   ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 18:08:44 »
Oh..I've got 1/4 acre plot...and it is LOT of work..in summer I'm there everyday several hours..
Yes..I do have several GH's and all the lot othes have listed..but it is far too much to tackle if you are not familiar with allotment work.
For my experience 1/2 plot is plenty for most of the people..you can always create small grass area for kids and still have plenty for yourself..in couple of years the kids might not want be there anymore and then you can turn the grass over for crops if needs to be.

ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 19:06:40 »
Hi Cobnut,

How lucky to have a choice of size for your allotment.
I was lucky enough to be given a full size plot which 2 people had already turned down after years on the waiting list!
I remember standing at the top of the allotment and thinking what have I done? Now I love it!
Gardening with children can be great!
Our kids help plan the lottie and what we will plant.
They each plant special things ie pumpkins, sunflowers and anything that grows fast.
A den which they help build is a must, ours is made of pallets and the kids spent hours building it. Great fun.
Oh and then theres the picnic time with special treats. In the summer these are picked from the lottie. Usually with the statement of " this strawberry has my name on it"

Hope all goes well with your plans and enjoy Ripley

ru2010

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 19:45:50 »
Hi Cobnut,

Grasp the nettle and take the full plot!

I've just taken on a plot in January and don't regret it for a minute.

It's described as a full plot but is only about 7 rods rather than the usual 10 (and if I could have had more I would have!)

My plot came complete with 5 fruit trees and raspberries, rhubarb, a shed, a fair bit of carpet, dozens of bricks and loads of bindweed!

I stood at the end of the plot, gazed over my domain and thought - "wow! This is mine - all mine! I've got loads of room, I can do anything!"

I don't think it's ever felt intimidating, or daunting. It just needs digging, clearing, mucking and planting.

So, take a full plot.

Measure it.

Draw it on some graph paper.

Plan it - decide what's going where - shed, compost, beds for potatoes, roots, legumes, brassicas, soft fruit, permanent stuff like rhubarb, asparagus, comfrey etc.

Then, order your manure and make a start. Measure out your first bed, scrape the top off and slowly and methodically, dig  it and remove as much weed as you can. Then muck it and plant something.

For me, the most useful thing is to have a plan - it's much easier and less daunting to be working for a reason. That way you don't see an untidy mess, you see an unmade brassica bed, or an unmade soft fruit bed, or an area that you're going to plonk a shed on!

If you can do a little everyday it will soon be done.

Good luck!

cobnut

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 20:29:14 »
Thanks everyone  :)

Looks like some mixed opinions then.  One thing I keep thinking is that if it does get too much then they can just take 1/2 back and give it to someone else.  If I take 1/2 but want more then I'm unlikely to get any.  We've been very lucky to have been able to get this straight away with no waiting list but I don't think they'll be available for long.  I'm also very lucky that it's aready been dug up so shouldn't have too many weeds on it when I take it over.

hi 1066, yes, I may well plant one but would need to keep the squirrels away - they're mine!  I already have a small one in my garden and it's doing very well.

We've just picked up a shed but don't think we'll find a greenhouse so will have to do without one of those.

I know the children will get bored but mine are young so I have to take them with me or I can't go up there at all.

(goodlife - really?  several hours a day  :o)

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 20:42:17 »
Last Aug I got my first plot and chose a slightly smaller plot.I did this on the basis that if i enjoy it I can get a larger one later.
Even on my 90sq m there is a hell of a lot of work to do.This year i am not adding anything so if I don't keep it up it has cost me a years rent.If I enjoy it I can add bits and bobs next year.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 21:03:00 »
Peeps - Cobnut's 1/4 acre full plot is 40 poles! :o  To most of us a full plot is 10 poles, and that's quite a big plot nowadays.  If you're starting off Cobnut I think you'll be utterly swamped with 40 poles - only the most enthusiastic allotmenteers tame 40 poles.   Even the 1/3 plot at 13 poles is pretty daunting.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 08:34:59 »
hi 1066, yes, I may well plant one but would need to keep the squirrels away - they're mine!  I already have a small one in my garden and it's doing very well.

How lovely! Our garden isn't big enough for trees - we have 1 huge and ancient Magnolia, and that is all (mind you it is beautiful in spring/summer). But I would love to have some nut trees

Unwashed - good point!

Anyway, good luck with you new adventure  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 10:22:29 »
Just to see 40 poles in other 'light' ...In my 40 poles I've got 3 greenhouses and a polytunnel, shed and 2 brick built outbuildings, over 30 fruit trees, raspberries, gooseberries, all different coloured currants, strawberries, all manner of veg,,,surrounded by hedges, couple of small lawn areas..2 small ponds..etc,etc..
I don't want to sound negative...but to keep all that lot just about in acceptable order it is huge amount of work. Majority of the the stuff I do on my own but I do get OH to do some labour ::)
I do have moments when I have wished that I would have taken less to 'chew on' ::)...but once you have done hard work, cleared it all, planted and set it with permanent things..it is even more heart breaking just let it go for somebody else ::)
What ever you decide cobnut...remember it is for your enjoyment and only you know how much 'oomph' you have in your sleeve ;) I think you would be 'mad' not to jump to challenge but how much to take on decides if you are totally 'bonkers' ;D ;)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 10:42:38 »
^^ Do you open your garden to the public on Bank Holidays Goodlife?

40 poles is a lot and with 2 small children in tow you won't be able to get much work done.

I watch ebay for greenhouses (they go for silly money now) but occasionally you see someone disposing of a commercial greenhouse and of course they are a lot less popular because so few people have the room.  So it's full of potential but it is a lot of work, not just a weekend thing.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 10:53:05 »
Denby..OH NO :o..my garden is not in that standard that I could show visitors around :o..I'm having to go to work as well so lottie is just my little private 'paradise/jungle' ;D
I'm sure if I was to propose anything of a sort (open day) for our members they would be spinning around in their 'graves' :-X
Of course we all have odd friend or relative coming when invited, but getting to the site is not simple..we are well fenced and hedged off...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 10:58:30 »
How much time do you propose spending there.  What about work, will you have more time once the children go to school.  

Pumpkins for example fill a large space very quickly if you need to give yourself some time to get organised yet keep it culitvated and weed free.

40 poles goodlife and a job.  Crikey that is amazing. 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 11:10:24 »
..ahh.only part time ;) ...how I would love to 'work' in lottie full time.. ::)
But I don't have to travel to my lottie, it's just other side of my garden wall..saves lot of time..
Yes...squashes and pumpkins will take lot of space..and potatoes..once in ground there is not that much looking after with those crops.
Eventually we all learn to take short cuts with some jobs resulting bit less back breaking work..but it aint easy for start with... at least some of the land Cobnut is looking for is cultivated..much easier and encouraging to start with..

cobnut

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 12:39:11 »
Just to clarify the size of the plot - it's about 10mx100m so 40 square poles but not 40 poles long.  It works out at 20 poles length.  I've not heard of the pole measurement before so not sure which you use (sq area or length).

I don't really fancy spending my whole life there to be honest - it's meant to be fun  ;D.   I was hoping to plant a few fruit trees - one of the full plots has just fruit trees and I think they have about 20 on there.

Once my youngest starts playgroup next year I expect I'll be up there more often and it'll become less about fun and more about saving us money as I still won't be working.

1066 - I have a tiny garden but insisted we squeeze in a nut tree.  I keep it trimmed and more tree like rather than bush so it doesn't take up the whole garden.  It still produces loads of nuts.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 14:15:17 »
I still think you should go for it! The amount of ground you have sounds achievable to me, particularly if you get into growing some pumpkins  :)

Now for nut trees, I'd love an Almond, the blossom is stunning !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal