Author Topic: Rent rise on self-management  (Read 1440 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Rent rise on self-management
« on: March 02, 2011, 21:15:19 »
Self management is not necessarily a good thing. My allotment site has been taken over by the local allotment society and they are raising rent by 86p a square metre form April. This will cost me over £100 extra to rent my allotment this year. I currently pay £23. This is a rise of over 400%!!
I have never been involved in any consultaion process and wonder if there is anyway of fighting this?
Kulak, I've started this thread so you can get some help.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Rent rise on self-management
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 21:23:10 »
Hi Kulak, if my maths is right you have a 4.6 pole plot which you pay £23 for and it's going up to something over £123?  So that from £5.00 per pole to almost £27 per pole?

Can you give a few more details please:

Which site are you on?
What does your tenancy agreement say about rent increases?
What notice have you been given about the increase?
And last but, rather obviously, not least, why such an enormous increase?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

bluecar

• Acre
Re: Rent rise on self-management
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:09:40 »
Welcome to A4A Kulak.

That seems exorbitant. Others on here will be able to tell you about the legal implications of such a price increase and the lack of notice. I notice that you say the management has been taken over which probably means your Council are still the owners of the allotments so you can raise it with them. I would also ask the allotment society to justify the increase that they are looking to impose on you and your fellow plotholders. Also try and get your fellow plotholders to work together to fight this increase. Why can't you as a site self-manage? Why has it gone to this allotment society?

Good luck.

Regards

Bluecar

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal