Author Topic: Speedy germination.  (Read 6333 times)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Speedy germination.
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:56:10 »
I planted some seeds earlier in the week and they must have come up in 3 days or so, they normally take a week.
They were in an electric propagator in relative darkness.
I've got a flourescent fish tank lamp on them now, so hopefully they won't go too leggy.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Speedy germination.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 13:15:08 »
I must check the ones I sowed last week... not chillies but out in the greenhouse..  :)

ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 09:12:13 »
It is the first year I have tried growing chillies from seed.
I bought some chillies from Tesco got the seeds and planted in seed compost. Some were put in a propergator with heat - some on the window in unheated propergators but in a warm room.

The Hungarian seeds in the heat grew within days. However no sign of the other seeds coming through.
So I put some of the seeds off the windowsill into the heated propergator- but still no growth.

What have I done wrong?

Is it harder to grow your own harvested seeds? Would you just start again as it has been nearly two weeks!!?
Thanks Ripley ???

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:14:15 »
Some chillies take weeks to germinate..but generally they all need bit of help from heat to do so. So trying to germinate chillies on windowsill is not quite ideal..providing they haven't gone off while being in cold and damp compost they should start the process now that they are in propagator..give them bit time. If you do have some spare seeds it is not too late to do another lot ;)
Code: [Select]
Is it harder to grow your own harvested seeds..providing the fruit was ripe when you harvested and they haven't spoiled in storage..no difference to bought seeds..they will germinate as well..if not better being fresher and not some old stock that has been hanging around for some time ;)

ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 14:59:00 »
Thank you so much for your reply.

I will leave the ones on the window for a while longer- but also plant some more in the propagater. I am sure I will find a good home for them all!

Thanks Ripley 8)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 16:07:10 »
I have some results for germinating chillies by chitting - but they need checking before I can recommend anything...

I've put italics on the bits that need most checking.

This is how I start with a lot of seeds in a small propagator and get most of them to mini-plug size before they come out. Using a triage system.

Who else? has found:

Seeds germinate well 5mm apart on damp tissue on a platform (to avoid excess moisture) in clear plastic boxes (with reasonable airspace) in a warm place. Label (or make a map if more than one type per box).

Tissue in plastic bags doesn't work - fungi go mad if the bag goes flat.

Weed out any seeds that go slightly darker and soft before they get fungus.

If you have more than one type in each box then when the tiny root emerges it's worth moving them 15mm apart in another box - as they can somersault all over the place and get mixed up. Relabel them.

It's worth keeping the rooting seeds in their clear box in good light & heat until the seed leaves get out of the seed coat. I used to get very poor results by putting them in soil before this stage was completed.

As soon as leaves appear then remove the seedlings (carefully scrape up any tissue the roots have locked into) to individual pots for growing on. I have a clear plastic storage container with 2 CFL lamps in that usually copes with the early birds. Hopefully there will be a trickle of these with the bulk coming when the weather warms up so the pressure is off the limited space.

Keep an eye on the rest of the batch - the ones running late are fine, except if they develop strong green 1cm stems but don't get their leaves out a couple of days later - then they have a very poor chance of emerging at all.

It's a bit of extra effort upfront but I think it saves more wasted effort on potting up duds later.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 17:45:51 »
Vinlander

Thank you so much for your advice. I have replanted some chillies straight into the heated propagater on Sunday.
I think I am going to try as you said and see if that works for me as it will save room and time wasted.

Does this method work with all seeds or just chillies?

Thanks Ripley

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 17:48:44 »
I put all my "hottest" seeds in my warmest propagator, an old 40 watt double-tray thermostatic Jemp Botanic, turned up to max... the rest go in the warmest of the other three, a 14W single-tray unit, the tomatoes etc are mostly in the 25W twin-tray or the 11W single.....

chrisc

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 19:00:15 »
Thank you Vinlander.  I chit all my seeds first on kitchen paper in the airing cupboard.  I usually plant the seeds as soon as they show a "tail" and pop into propagator.  Will give your method of growing on further a bash.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 00:09:28 »
Don't forget this "long-chitting" method is experimental - it works but that doesn't mean it's actually better for everyone.

The 'getting the seed-leaves out' bit definitely works for me but it  may be compensating for something else I'm doing wrong...

I can't guarantee it's better than transplanting just-chitted seeds, but you should definitely avoid transplanting seeds that have produced a stem but no leaves.

On balance I think long chitting might possibly produce a few more trapped seed leaves than growing in ideal sterilised soil in sterilised cells/units - possibly because the larger root and shoot lifts the seed away from the damp (more than pushing it up through soil)

On the other hand cell/units are a pain to sterilise and on that method my propagator would only be big enough for 35 seeds! Not to mention how irritating the inevitable gaps are.

Long chitting certainly seems to produce more good seedlings than using unsterilised stuff, and it's a lot less work than growing in small sterilised trays and transplanting to units.

Worth a try, but if I was using a new method for the first time I'd hedge my bets and use seeds that aren't too rare.

Good Luck!

PS. It works well for tomatoes and aubergines too.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:15:12 »
It's interesting to read how you others are propagating your chillies. I'm growing them from seed for only the second time and I agree, it's irritating when module space is wasted on no-shows.

As to seed viability, how about this? I was rummaging through old editions of gardening mags a few days ago when a free packet of chilli seeds fell out: Mr Fothergill's Capsicum Hot & Spicy,  average contents 30 seeds, sow by 2008. The magazine was dated 2005 and had been kept in a centrally-heated room. I decided to see whether any were still viable.

On 24.02.11 I counted them - there were actually 49 seeds - put them on damp kitchen roll in plastic box covered with cling film and set them to chit by the boiler. Now, eight days on, all but five have germinated!

It's going to be a hot year, here in Hampshire!

;D

PS In Wyevale Garden Centre yesterday, I noticed that they're selling chilli plug plants for £1.99 for four....

kaysexton

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 09:30:44 »
Chilli varieties vary tremendously in germination time: 21 to 28 days for habanero type chillies while the annums can appear in 7 days.

I sow mine in normal seed compost, about five seeds to a pot and cover with a tiny sprinkling of the same, before spraying with water, covering with a plastic bag and checking daily to see if they need another squirt. The idea is to stop the top surface from drying and crusting, rather than keeping it wet, as chillies can be a bit fussy about damp.

They do like a lot of warmth: sitting on a light windowsill over a radiator is an ideal location for UK-based chilli seeds. Once they do germinate they desire a lot of light too, so you need to turn them daily to stop them becoming leggy as they reach for the sun.

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 09:45:42 »
Yes, I'll bide my time with the seeds that haven't yet germinated, in case they're habaneros.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 09:54:59 »
Last year I sowed some sweet pepper seeds from peppers at asda and they grew just fine.  I think every pepper variety germinates at a slightly rate.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 18:47:44 »
I put four varieties of chilli seeds out in the shed four weeks ago and nothing happened, I did have the temp at 60degrees throughout the day,  last week weekend I repeated the sowing and had them in the back bedroom  under the radiator and now 'I'm a Dad' the little darlings have started their little lives, now when would you move from the house to re-pot them to the shed, :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 18:57:04 »
If your shed is frost free then you could go when they have a couple of sets of real leaves.  I tend to keep mine inside for quite a while though - they do love being warm - they seem to stop growing when its cold.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 19:42:36 »
If your shed is frost free then you could go when they have a couple of sets of real leaves.  I tend to keep mine inside for quite a while though - they do love being warm - they seem to stop growing when its cold.
               I have just spoken to the one that matters and they can live in the front porch when they are big enough, :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 19:47:02 »
The one that matters in this is house is rapidly getting annoyed at the number of pots and trays in the spare room.  Well it is spare!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 19:03:46 »
Good news!

Following your advice I now have nine types of chillies as seedlings and another two types in propergator.
I have well over 100 plants- whoops- I think I am developing a chili addiction!

Thanks for all your help Ripley ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal