Author Topic: Vanished sets  (Read 1561 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Vanished sets
« on: January 13, 2005, 23:35:15 »
On the main plot I thought I would make use of the runner bean area by planting my hardy onion sets, figuring they would be gone by the time the beans were up the poles, however, after planting the whole area in November time, a good examination on Wednesday revealed over half the sets gone, and at least another quarter very weedy and pathetic with only a few looking good and strong.  The rest of the sets planted further down the plot, gorgeous!  I think this area may be to wet because last winter (Dec 2003) I dug a big bean trench and filled it with green stuff, shredded paper, manure, leaves etc then backfilled, and was rewarded with a monster crop of runners and french beans.  I think the trench is doing it's job keeping the ground good and wet, which wasn't great for my onions!  Good job my maincroppers have arrived....if only I could do something about the rot!   >:(

john_miller

• Hectare
Re: Vanished sets
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 23:57:10 »
On your heavy soil organic matter should aid drainage, not inhibit it, especially when the bulk of it is so deep. Are you sure set death isn't due to excessive salts being released by the decomposing bean roots?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Vanished sets
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 12:38:27 »
ooooooooooooooo.  Don't know John, but I guess that is a very good possibility.  It is odd, I looked again today, there is a definate line where the onion sets have died and where the others are going great guns.  I think I will pull out the stragglers next visit, fork the area over and leave it for the runners in May.  That area does seem wetter than other areas though, altho all of my plot is very well drained thanks to the 6trillion tonnes of stones and gravel that seem to be in it!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal