Author Topic: Tomato time again..what are you growing?  (Read 7026 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Tomato time again..what are you growing?
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:27:25 »
I spent hours last night trying to narrow my list down for what to grow this year.
I know some you have already started , but my propagators have only become empty again so the mad 'panic' starts this weekend..I'll have to put my glasses on, get plenty of pots and compost in to warm up and 'cooking' starts.
I've narrowed down my list of possibles..and once I've been in greenhouse..thoroughly calculated all space for maximum squeeze ..I'm hoping to grow these:
Persimmon, Sebastopol, Sibiriche Orange, Amana Orange, Caro Rich, Mexican, Green Raisan, Greenwich, Lime Green Salad, Green Bell Pepper, Nyagous, Highlander, Black Aisberg, Black Krim, Chocolate Stripes, Japanese Trifele, White Tomasol, Snow White Cherry, Egyptian, Zapotec Pleated, Fablonelystynj, Auting Red and Yellow Pear..phewww ::) ...and...Patio, Early Girl, Dok Hodny, Siberian Early, Tiny Tim, Venus, Tumbling Tom Red and Yellow... ;D
 And after that I'll get cumbers, melons and squashes going ;D ;D ;D..but that is long long away ;D This year I'm not using 'surrogate' growers for seeds..just me..

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Tomato time again..what are you growing?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:47:27 »
So many tomatoes... so little space!!  ;D

BoardStupid

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:54:37 »
Shirley, Alicante, Tumbling Tom, Sungold, Gardeners Delight (Freebie) and Tigerella.

Plus any interesting seedlings that I find on my travels :-)
If it's not on fire it's a software problem

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:04:20 »
I've started to think about this too and  becasue of the seed swap on here and various other bits and bobs from friends I have lots to choose from, but have no greenhouse. One thing I have decided is to heck with just growing cherry toms (I got fed up a couple of years back with lousy summers things never fully ripening), bring on the Marmandes and the like  ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 12:09:49 »
Red Alert and Harbinger for earlies
Sungold - the only cherry i grow
San Marzano for saucing
then some Shirley and Tigerella for the plate..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:58:15 »
Shirley,Gardeners delight,Roma,Battito. Goodlife your list sounds amazing :)

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 14:52:47 »
Moneymaker in my greenhouse and Outdoor girl outside at my allotment.

Wow, where do you grow that massive long list?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 15:40:12 »
golden sunrise and tigerella for earlies, moneymaker for the plant sale, marmande, oxheart, black krim and roma, might squash a couple of gardeners delight in there somewhere  ;D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 16:09:57 »
Mostly Green Tiger and Piccolo/ino - free seeds from the best-flavoured fruit you can buy (M&S).

Possibly a few Jester and Santa for variety (my seed from earlier examples of best fruit I could buy at the time). Pity I lost my Dolche seed two years ago.

I have a few Highlander seedlings - interesting to see if they turn out to be same/similar to Green Tiger.

I will definitely grow a bunch of Sungold from cuttings - as soon as I find some decent plants on sale.

I will have a load of Gardener's Delight but I haven't decided whether I have the space for seedlings right now - though the seed is a reasonable (cheap) price- it's probably easier to do cuttings from bought plants here too.

Cheers.

PS. definitely no so-called "blight - free" types - utterly tasteless - like everything else bred for anything except flavour.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 16:24:02 »
So far Gareners Delight,Sweet Million,San Marzano,Minibel,Sungold and Koralik.
Still got my tumblers to go in

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 16:32:10 »
Oh Lord! I only grow outdoors so it will be:
Marmande and some big Yellow Beefheart ones from saved heirloom seed, a small Green Tiger type, Gardener's Delight (Last year I found them a bit of a pain, they got so huge! but now I can stake them this year in full knowledge of their girth! They are prolific yielders...), Moneymaker which personally I love! A couple of Tigerella from saved seed and some Roma that  I just couldn't resist. I suppose I will do about 3 of each...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 16:57:30 »
I would love to grow outdoor toms..but blight always gets them ::)
I saved some seeds from some beatiful looking cebrino tomatoes..tastes horrid though..and for experiment I think I'll grow plant of that too ;D..They are F1 but as the plants in that GH were all same variety..I'm hoping the fruit will come true to type..no, I hope they look same but texture and flavour would come out better ;D ::)
I've so many new to me varieties to grow this year so I'm bit 'sad' that I don't have room to grow any from my 'my grow every year' list...all favourites are out of action.
I could just eat some now ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 21:06:15 »
The names of all these tomatoe is making my mouth water!

I felt like that 1066, I decided I was only going to do tigerella. Then two people gave me mini cherry ones for Christmas. Then i got HSL membership for christmas...

... now i'm doing plum lemon, pink plum, nova, minibel and tigerella!

Where will I find the window sills for them all? Is it easy to add windows to a house? Hammer?

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 21:49:08 »
OH is the tomato grower in our house,12 varieties last year,plus the 4 new ones santa brought him,at least this year the cuces and gherkins will be grown in the coldframe to give him more room in his greenhouse (coldframe still to be built,and new brassica cage and bean frame moved and and and.....)
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 22:33:27 »
In the process of chitting Stupice, Harzfeuer, Harbinger, Marglobe, Striped Stuffer, Rio Fuego Nana, a saved seed Beefsteak and saved seeds from some lovely flavoured cherry toms from Lidl. Far too many, so will Freecycle some plants - and as I shall only grow outdoors this year I'm praying for a blight free growing season.

Tricia

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 07:57:37 »
Just a few here too, Roma, Jester, GD, a beefsteak type I can't recall name of. I get blight here too so start them off early and grow them on in pots as big as I can, and put them out end of Mayish.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 13:58:05 »
It's hard to beat the blight, isn't it? I'm going to try some in pots outside the sunny south-facing front of the house. Maybe the extra light and warmth will help ripen them earlier.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 10:42:37 »
Sowing mine indoors today:

Golden sunrise, Costoluto,  San Marzano, Red Pear,  Roma, u/k plum & u/k other

Note to self: Must remember to label seeds this year !!

Debs

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 18:48:54 »
San Marzano, Costoluto F, Korol G, REd Cherry, Gardeners Delight, Black Cherry, Sungold, MOrtgage Lifter, Heinz, Tigerella, Black Krim, Black Russian, Black Plum, Garden Pearl, Giant Spanish, Giant Spanish Yellow and Ferline..... think that's it....

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 19:22:08 »
So many tomatoes... so little space!!  ;D

And how. ;D

Small early varieties we gow are Stupice, Favorita and Bloody Butcher.

Yellow varieties are Yellow perfection and Golden Sunrise.

Beefsteak - Mortgage Lifter, Costoluto Fiorentino, Brandywine and Mountain Pride.

Plum tomatoes Olivade.

Bush tomatoes - Red Cap and Legend.  Also a variety I received in a seed swap Red Cluster Pear.

Another from a seed swap Rose de Berne.  Having googled it it does seem interesting.

Looking forward to going out and picking some to go with breakfast,

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal