Author Topic: Eviction  (Read 5502 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Eviction
« on: February 22, 2011, 12:43:55 »
I gave the Town Council a final ultimatum for this Friday either to withdraw my eviction for refusing to pay the unenforceable rent increase or I would issue court  proceedings without firther notice.

I have now received notice from Newbury Town Council that they withdraw my notice of eviction.

Unfortunately, they have also served me with a notice to quit March 31 2012, which I gather from their press release is because I asserted my consumer rights and demanded self-management.

Sweet.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Eviction
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 13:04:27 »
Congratulations on the first victory... keep it up!  :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 13:18:32 »
Outrageous they've made a such a public statement, accusing you of libel too. 

I guess it's Round 2 as far as you are concerned?

Have to take my hat off to you mate, whatever happens next.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 20:39:42 »
I've just sent all 3 of them an email asking them how they manage to spend that much on so few allotments!

we manage over 850 for a lot less than that.
You couldn't make it up!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 20:42:46 »
That's very kind of you Tony.  This is going to be a hard wrap to beat.  The Council don't need a reason to evict with a Notice to Quit so I'm afraid I'm at a loss at the moment.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 21:13:15 »
Well, if the folk that you've helped on here in the past were to write or email to these 3 folk

Cllr Ifor Sheldon – Leader of the Council (ifor.sheldon2005@ntlworld.com 07954 182953)
• Cllr Julian Swift-Hook – Deputy Leader of the Council (julian@swift-hook.co.uk 07799 888444)
• Graham Hunt – Chief Executive Officer (chiefexec@newbury.gov.uk 01635 35486)

we might be able to convince them to revoke their 'notice to quit'

c'mon people, Simon's helped enough folk on here, now it's our turn to help him!!
You couldn't make it up!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 21:27:16 »
I think that the press release is totally out of order, since the press release is clearly aimed at one single person who can be easily identified.  

The whole push of the present government is to make such thing self managing.  Their assertation that self management does not work is an insult to all those who self manage any activity.  

I suggest to start by going through the press release line by line and producing evidence to to contrary for each and every point.  

For example they still have not explained precisely what they spend £50,000 plus on.  I thought a large proportion of this was an allocations of overheads.  

They cannot invoke the 40 days of non payment because you have actually paid a lower sum.

What about the local authority ombudsman?  

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 21:34:49 »
Hi Digeroo

It's a parish council, they're a law unto themselves, not within the ombudsman's juristiction.

They've stopped pretending that they can forfeit the tenancy over the rent because I called their bluff and they know I'm right.  Instead they've served me with a Notice to Quit March 31 2012 because a Notice to Quit requires no reason, and as far as I can tell it would take a judicial review to challenge it and I can't afford that.

Thanks very much Tony, I think this might help.  Please be polite though if you write to the councillors.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 21:45:21 »
Ombudsman not the right person yet but have a look at this

'If you have a complaint about a parish or town councillor this should be sent to the authority that the parish council is part of.'

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Yourrightsandresponsibilities/DG_10013518

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 21:47:16 by Digeroo »

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 21:54:56 »
Yes, you can complain to the standards board if a councillor has broken the code of conduct, but it's an uphill struggle because I'd have to show that individual councillors had brought the Council into disrepute or had used their position to disadvantage me.  I'll try it for sure because I don't have much else, but it's not an easy argument to make.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 21:57:18 »
you have mail, Simon ;)
You couldn't make it up!

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 14:33:32 »
Well, if the folk that you've helped on here in the past were to write or email to these 3 folk

Cllr Ifor Sheldon – Leader of the Council (ifor.sheldon2005@ntlworld.com 07954 182953)
• Cllr Julian Swift-Hook – Deputy Leader of the Council (julian@swift-hook.co.uk 07799 888444)
• Graham Hunt – Chief Executive Officer (chiefexec@newbury.gov.uk 01635 35486)

we might be able to convince them to revoke their 'notice to quit'

c'mon people, Simon's helped enough folk on here, now it's our turn to help him!!

I am willing to give it a go. Unwashed has invariably contributed to any topics that I have started. Also his knowledge has supported many people who have been struggling with officials whether it's the Council or Committees.

However, I'm struggling to find what to say to them that may make a difference. Obviously, if I ask a question that will require a reply.

Any ideas of how we can tackle this?

Unwashed - would one of your fellow plotholders start up a petition against the eviction? The Council seem to place a strong emphasis on listening to plotholders 'the Council aims to have all allotment tenants as contented tenants, enjoying their plots'. Perhaps it could be extended to other sites?

Regards

Bluecar

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 15:13:58 »

I am willing to give it a go. Unwashed has invariably contributed to any topics that I have started. Also his knowledge has supported many people who have been struggling with officials whether it's the Council or Committees.

However, I'm struggling to find what to say to them that may make a difference. Obviously, if I ask a question that will require a reply.

Any ideas of how we can tackle this?

Unwashed - would one of your fellow plotholders start up a petition against the eviction? The Council seem to place a strong emphasis on listening to plotholders 'the Council aims to have all allotment tenants as contented tenants, enjoying their plots'. Perhaps it could be extended to other sites?

Regards

Bluecar
Thanks for that.  The Town Council don't listen to anyone, but I'll have a think about some kind of petition, though if the Council are going to victimise anyone who supports me I'm not sure I'll get much support.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 15:42:51 »
Another item in the local Newbury Press re: the unnecessary libellous public statement, stating publically (in response) why you refused to pay?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 15:55:01 »
to the press.. " nation wide outrage amongst allotment holders over victimisation of individuals rights to question Newbury Council's seemingly lavish spending claims"
Would that do? ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 15:56:57 by goodlife »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 17:07:42 »
Your county council or equivilant should have a Head of Standards Officer who has among his many duties has to police the parish councils. Now it seems to me, he might not have been informed of your troubles. Make sure he knows and also make sure that if he gives no joy you will be going up even higher to the national standards committee. It should not cost you a penny are they are bound by law to investigate any complaint. I have an idea that the standards committees have lay members of the public so it will not be weighted down by council members interests.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 18:37:13 »
Another item in the local Newbury Press re: the unnecessary libellous public statement, stating publically (in response) why you refused to pay?

You'd probably find the paper would be glad of a response, and it's very clearly aimed at you. I'm surprised the council are courting the potential bad publicity.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 18:56:37 »

Simon,
                 I support you in your stand against eviction in 2012 and wish you all the best, but if you sit tight could it get to the point when bailiffs appear and take all your veg for back rent, :) 

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 19:01:46 »
Have the local press published the statement?  Is there a link?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 19:26:57 »

Simon,
                 I support you in your stand against eviction in 2012 and wish you all the best, but if you sit tight could it get to the point when bailiffs appear and take all your veg for back rent, :) 
Thanks Mr. Smith.  Yes, I believe the Council have the right to distrain so they might even have taken my prize shed!  But they've known for sure that the increase was unenforceable since they complied with Trading Standards last summer, they just thought they could intimidate me into capitulation, and now they're just going to evict me because I was right.  They'll not win.  They've left me no option now, I have to fight on.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal