Author Topic: attempt at seed sharing for site association  (Read 4250 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
attempt at seed sharing for site association
« on: January 08, 2011, 20:43:40 »
We're making our first stab at a community, and organising a seed-swap/social event in February. We don't know what we're doing, so we thought we'd just let people bring along anything they'd like to give away and see what happens.

Do any of you use a special system for seed swaps?

I know some of you do a lot of organising or events and stuff and have really great-looking allotment sites. Something for us to aspire to!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: attempt at seed sharing for site association
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 15:54:54 »
Can I just bump this? Either the message has got covered by new ones or I've said something wrong somewhere  ;D

TividaleJo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 16:09:22 »
in swap shop there is something similar that was being looked (Birmingham Seed Swap) and sazhig sent the link:

http://www.seedysunday.org/category_idtxt__runyourown.aspx

not sure if its exactly what your looking for but there is some useful information in it

Good luck with the seed sharing
Joanne

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 21:33:31 »
Thanks, it does help. We're not planning anything as ambitious as what they're saying, but it seems they really do just lay seeds out of a table and let people take them. So that sounds like what we'll do.

I think we will need to collect lots of little bags and containers for the seed we give away, I've started saving anything like that, and maybe we can make some out of scrap paper too.

TividaleJo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:59:16 »

I got some of the wage packet envelopes they are great for the little seeds, they sell them for about 1.50 in stationary shops for about 100 i think and the larger ones i put in larger brown envelopes from the pound shop for about 50. you can write straight on the envelope and you dont need to mess about with stickers that way. but you learn from the 1st on and then just change things if need be for the second and all the others
Joanne

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 14:53:01 »
It is also handy to have some seed catalogues on hand  for info. The Works remainder shop has 100 of those wee envelopes for £1 .

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 20:04:05 »
Ooh both good tips - thank you! I will do that!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 18:32:09 »
Just noticed this.

I've run swaps and will be running one for HSL next month - and we:

Start with a good selection so that people have a good choice from the get go [I usually use my excess seed selection as a base for the local ones - as I do have quite a few!]

Have bags available, with pencils; but that is for loose seeds that need bagging eg broadies, peas - you could buy a couple of bags of these for swapping and use any donated money to pay for them - it is good for people to handle the seeds and it makes the table look good.

For my local one, I have stickers with the date of the next veg show and each swapper gets one of these on one of the bags they take away - if the donation was going to a charity then I'd pop the charity on the label as well.

Ask for a donation for those that don't have any to swap or who want to take away more than they give - say 50p/bag

If you have time, you can always ask HSL for some leaflets, if you wanted to promote them - I could get some sent out if you want.....just PM me. And the leaflets now tear up into 6 seed bags, so useful as well :D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 21:57:57 »
Thanks, that's useful. I've bought some little wage envelopes, so they'll come in handy.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 12:21:11 »
just seen this thread! And spookily enough I suggested something similar to our mob for this year  :o. I've done swaps with friends but am suggesting something for our site along the lines of a seed swap but also want to push seed saving, so I was going to put something together for our next newsletter. The idea was to do a seed swap sometime soon, then we'll also have our open day / plant sale (everyone's) surplous, so will push the seed saving thing there as well.

Have you checked out Seedy sunday yet? It's on tomorrow in Brighton...... I'm going  :-X

1066  :)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 14:40:03 »
I try to avoid going anywhere at the weekend except the local shops and the allotment! Hope you get some good seeds tomorrow.

I think it will encourage seed saving, and it's a nice idea, that the varieties we grow are something shared, which belongs to the site community.

Eventually you could end up with plants specially suited to the site conditions. (In our case any plants which don't mind living in a force 9 gale with extra sea mist thrown in!  :o)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 18:27:33 »

Eventually you could end up with plants specially suited to the site conditions. (In our case any plants which don't mind living in a force 9 gale with extra sea mist thrown in!  :o)

;D  ;D  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal