Author Topic: Blight r4esistant toms, need help making a list of varieties  (Read 3704 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Hi, if you can add to the list would you please.

Legend
Ferline
Fantasio
Juliet
Golden sweet

Plus the three new ones this year from Johnnys

Defender
Moutain Magic
Plum Regal

I am planning a trial and would like any info, positive or negative.

Thank you

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Blight r4esistant toms, need help making a list of varieties
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 19:59:55 »
The Evil Empire (T&M) are selling seeds this year for Losetto which has blight resistance apparently:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/tomato-seeds/tomato-losetto/4895TM

Looking at the one review, they were selling plants last year so there may be some experience of the variety out there.  But there was not much blight in the UK last year.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 20:51:11 »
Garden Organic have plug plants of Koralik and Losetto to "trial" for blight resistance in the Spring mag. after the first 100 you get seeds instead of plugs...  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 21:22:18 »
Plenty of blight in my area for the last few years, last year it came early too  :'(

I've sown a couple of Lossetto for this year, I'm interested to see how they do.

Not sure what to make of Koralik, which was trialed by DT Brown last year. In this years printed catalogue (and on their web site earlier in the year) they gave the results of  therir customer trial, along the lines of "There were lots of positive mentions about it but, on balance, we have decided not to list the variety as many of you reported problems with germination, too small fruit size and no special flavour."
Now all of a sudden they are promoting it "We believe this may be one of the finest blight-tolerant tomatoes a scourge to many gardeners! It is a cherry tomato and the bushy determinate plants may require some staking and some side-shooting." http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/seeds-plants-gardening/18408/tomato-cherry-koralik

I grew them last year and thought it was a nice cherry, fruit is early and nicely sweet with enough bite to make it intresting. I thought the fruits also held well on the bushes ones ripe, they defo ended up with blight. I liked them enough to be growing them again this year.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:40:25 »
Hi Jeannine,

Of the several varieties I grew last year, Brown Berry performed best. When I started to see signs of blight, I took my pots into the conservatory and kept them as clean as I could, removing any blighted leaves and fruits. Under this regime, Brown Berry's fruits seemed to be less affected than the Ailsa Craigs, Millefleurs and others.

Hope this helps!

:)

PS I bought the seeds from Nicky's Nursery, tempted by the flavour description. Some of the family, including me, thought they tasted of bacon. Good.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:43:00 by Spudbash »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 03:21:26 »
hi thanks for all the help..

I just noticed I named one variety wronglt on mt first post

I wrote Defender  and it should have said Defiant..sorry if anyone has been looking .

I have also heard Old Brooks is an oldie which had some resistance

I also read somwhere that putting a TUMS in the transplanting hole helps..

Well I guess anything is worth a try.

So my patch is getting interesting.

XX Jeannine
i
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:08:41 »
Jeannine,

as I mentioned in one of your previous threads on this topic, I tried Fantasio for two years and did not find them blight resistant. They possibly survived a few days longer than neighbouring plot holders' toms before succumbing in the first year. I sprayed them in the second year and they did slightly better.

I have grown Tamina for a number of years and have found them quite good at resisting blight although I do spray them. They are not advertised as being blight resistant.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:45:57 »
Apparantely wild tomatoes (Lycopersicon pimppinellifolium) are "comparably tolerant" of tomato blight..Golden currant being one that was mention within same article.
And then there is tomato Quadro that shows relatively good resistance too...now what ever "relatively good" means...I've never grown it myself.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 10:09:58 »
..and..
Celebrity and Mexico Midget

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 11:03:19 »
Broad ripple yellow currant (HSL) is always the last to succumb outside.. even self sets..  :-X

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 13:12:11 »
This year's plan: I'm going to try to roof over in clear plastic more of my indeterminates to keep them going which worked so well last yr.    I don't know that any are supposed to be resistant.

The determinates will be out exposed to the rain and dew since they stop producing early anyway.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 15:51:29 »
Code: [Select]
I don't know that any are supposed to be resistant.No..not totally resistant. All these we have been listing are resistant to a degree..the blight will either 'hit' them bit later or with less effect so that the plants should be still able to produce some crop when non-resistant ones would just collapse and die 'taking' any chance for fruit with them.

I came across yet another claim for resistant variety...Old Brooks..

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:37 »
I tried Legend outside the year before last and did not notice any difference in blight resistance with them, all varieties I tried were devastated almost overnight despite foliage stripping. I didn't try any tomatoes outdoors last year except three spare plants which I kept in pots under the cover of a mini  plastic greenhouse with the door left open....they lasted really well, in fact better than my greenhouse tomatoes! :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 01:22:22 »
I've tried half a dozen or so (grown by myself and others) and they were all bland, bland, bland.

And none of them is really immune.

A waste of time and land.

The Lychee Tomato is a completely different species (S. sysimbrifolium) and totally immune to blight.

It tastes halfway between a proper tomato and a cape gooseberry - that's considerably better than the blight-resisters to my palate.

Some suppliers can't guarantee they are non-toxic ("all parts of the plant should be considered potentially suspect") - but I don't eat anything except ripe fruit from tomatoes either and there are tribes that have been eating Lychee Toms for millennia.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 07:50:21 »
and there are tribes that have been eating Lychee Toms for millennia.

and most of them are dead now.... sorry... I couldn't resist...  :-[

onionsquash

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 10:45:04 »
Hi Jeannine

I would be interested to know how Defiant does as it is not available in the UK, yet.

The others you mention are only slightly resistant over here.

Two newly bred varieties would be worth trying, both from the same UK breeder - Losetto and Lizzano - the latter was an AAS winner in 2010 and is not available in the UK as seed this year but should be from US suppliers. Both are dwarf bush, basket or container types.

I hope to try both as they show some promise for blight.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 19:06:14 »
Thank you for the |Lossetta one, I have just ordered seed from the US.(Parks Seeds) It is interesting that this is the first one that says Tolerant rather than resistant to LB,,this would indicate to me that it does in fact have a better chance,, anyway it needs to be in my trial.

I am not including any cuirrant or wild tomatoes this year .

I am also only including those varieties that are claimed by seed merchants to be resistant etc.

I do have quite a list now so it should make for an interesting trial.

Again, thank you for the help, it will be intersting to see.

I shall do a community taste test adfter harvest.

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal