Author Topic: laid hedge  (Read 2854 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
laid hedge
« on: February 17, 2011, 21:31:06 »
[attachment=1]

this hedge was about 100 yrs old, and had only ever had a 'short top and sides'. this had led to huge holes in the lower part of the hedge. now it should last another 100 yrs
You couldn't make it up!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: laid hedge
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 21:57:56 »
That's a lovely piece of work.  I have a passion for laid hedges.  I did my section of allotment hedge maybe 10 years ago - took me ages, and longer still for the thorns to grow out from my fingers!  But it's the only way to make a hedge both secure and healthy.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 22:38:02 »
Who did the work it is very impressive?  Perhaps you will post some more pics as it greens up.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 22:46:11 »
I laid mine too... after a day course at Ryton... still in good condition over a decade later...  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:30:51 »
Tone would lay ours if we had one ;D. He spent his boyhood on a farm
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:43:31 »
Looks lovely when done- quite a skill to do!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 08:37:08 »
Love it. Brings back memories, when we lived in East Sussex a friend laid the hedge on the road side of our 4 acre field. He made it look so easy but of course it isn't.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:37:44 »
Who did the work it is very impressive?  Perhaps you will post some more pics as it greens up.

Kevin Parker, Green Man tree surgeon.
of course I'll post piccy's as it greens up ;)
You couldn't make it up!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:01:16 »
Great to see, too many hedges getting ripped out for the easier option of fencing. I was lucky when I was younger of being taught the art by an old council 'banksman', who as well as keeping verges, etc in shape he had to repair and make good the council owned hedgerows.  When he retired I had to take on the job, but it wasn't long before the bean counters deemed it uneconomical to carry on the old skills and I was given a tractor with a hedge cutter (ripper) to do a years work in a fortnight :o

I've still got my billhook and slasher, but I haven't used them for over thirty five years. I did toy with the idea of entering a hedge laying competition but seeing some of the competition made me realise my type of hedging was not in vogue anymore. Mine is very functional, but they like to see it uniform and decorative as well. I still love to watch them working their magic though.

tonybloke

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 10:25:18 »
Kevin Parker does enter the 'national' hedge-laying competitions, he's got photo's from the last 3 yrs, so many different styles!

( and there's a few hedge-wrestlers come over from Holland to enter as well, so it's an international comp really!!)
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal