Author Topic: first timers  (Read 2795 times)

kayandpaul

• I though i saw a putty cat!!!
first timers
« on: April 13, 2003, 18:21:04 »
hello

We have just got our first allotment and we haveno idea what we are doing but it is an adventure :).  We have had it rotovated for us but it was full of grass which they have just churned up into the soil? should we put some weed killer on it even though all the weeds have been uprooted?

we would be very grateful for any advice anyone has to offer.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
K

• I love Allotments 4 All
Re: first timers
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 12:53:39 »
If you are going to grow edibles - I personally would not put weed killer on it - remember what you put on / in the soil is absorbed by what you grow - ugh !

You could always double dig - or try using on of those big sieve things don't know what they are called - but I'm sure you've seen them.

Just my opinion.

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 16:58:51 »
I wouldn't weed kill either.  If it was me, I would decide what I wanted to grow this year.  Probably not anything that would take up a lot of ground and then I would get digging and remove the grass and weed by hand.

A god forsaken job ::) but well worth doing for future years.
Chloe:)

snuffyzee

• Not So New ...
  • taking time out in the shed
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 02:45:18 »
We too are first timers but unfortunately have not got rotavator so we are skimming and digging. It is very hard graft  ;)

I agree with newbie, not great to use weed killer where you are growing edibles, how about covering unused parts of the  plot to kill weeds and growing through plastic or mulch to discourage the weeds in your growing area? Also your new allotment neighbours may not thank you for using chemicals near their plot!

sidney12

• I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 15:29:34 »
Please let me know how you get on as I have just today taken on an allotment which is heavily overgrown and am thinking about rotavating

gavink

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 21:38:19 »
Hello all

We took over a couple of plots nearly four years ago.  And we miss (yup, it's true!) the hard labour of clearing hugely overgrown land and bringing it under cultivation!!!!!!!   We chose to grow as organically as possible - so no weed-killers (actually there's a longer story there, but I won't bore you!).

1.  We chose to dig, and remove all the couch grass, dock, thistle and dandelion and start up a compost heap.  Dividing the plot up into beds at the beginning was a LOT less daunting.  We cleared one plot one year, half the second the second year, and the other half of the second in the third year.

2.  BUT - we had a HUGE advantage; we started clearing in September, so we had plenty time to  do it properly - and then clear a first flush of new weeds in the spring.  And we'd a supply of horse muck to fertilise and mulch over the winter.

3.  If I were starting at this time of year, personally, I would concentrate on getting a manageable portion of the plot really well-cleared, and get veg growing there.  

There will be a lot of weeds in the first year - from bits of missed roots, and all the reservoir of seed which spring into life because you've dug over!!!!!

Start small, work that bit well, and control the weeds - you'll get a reasonable crop this year, and have a beautiful couple of beds next year.    Also, with a bit of help early in the season, potatoes and brassicas do a real good job of starving out weeds.  

The rest of the plot - I'd either dig roughly, or cover with thick black plastic, cardboard, or similar - and clear properly in autumn.

4.  On using a rotovator - if you own a rotovator and can use it regularly, regularly chopping up growing weeds will eventually exhaust them!  I believe it's not particularly good for the soil structure though.

5.  If you only have the rotovator once - well this was our experience.   We had a small extension to our first plot which the council had "kindly" rotovated - and chopped each single thistle, dock and dandelion into hundreds of fresh, vigorous new plants!!!!!!!!  

Keeping those beds weed-free in the first year was a real nightmare - we gave that bit up and took our second plot which we could dig ourselves.  BUT the people who took it over inherited some lovely beds the following year, and FAR less weed problems.

So again - I'd look at working a part of the plot really well this season.  How much can I effectively keep weeded over the season?  And I'd be tempted to let a flush of weeds come up on the rest -  so the seeds and bits of root get properly cleared out in autumn.

Apologies - I'm very long-winded, but I hope it's of some use!  

Oh and one other thing - the first year is hard.  All the other plot-holders are sitting around drinking tea, passing the time of day - and you are breaking your back!   The second year - it is SO much easier, once you've got the first clearing really well done.

Good luck all of you!  

All best - Gavin  

snuffyzee

• Not So New ...
  • taking time out in the shed
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 00:18:09 »
Thanks Gavin, I find your words informative and encouraging!

We have decided to concentrate on just a part of the plot this year as you suggest. At least it means we can achieve something tangible in a few months but it is definitely hard graft clearing and digging it over (ouch I've got blisters).

I find what you say about letting the weeds grow over the rest of it intriguing. I was thinking about covering this to deprive the weeds of light so that (hopefully), come autumn, the digging over won't be such heavy work. Would this work OK?

And it's true, everyone else does seem to be sitting about drinking tea (and stronger!) and giving us advice (which is always well received). ;)

gavink

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2003, 00:15:29 »
Hi snuffyzee

People with much more experience than I have will no doubt correct me!  

But I'd quite like to have as many of the dormant seeds germinate, and as much of the chopped up roots sprout.  Basically, they're easier to find when they're a couple of inches big, pull out and add to the compost heap - but again I'm lazy, and I have a huge compost heap!

My worry about covering immediately is that a lot of the dormant "bits" will stay dormant until I take the plastic cover off!

All good wishes - Gavin

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal