Author Topic: Abusive freecycler  (Read 11671 times)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Abusive freecycler
« on: February 10, 2011, 13:56:21 »
I've just had a really horrible email from someone who collected something I offered.
I'm still shaking after she accused me of upsetting her child deliberately as the item I'd donated wasn't the top of the range.I gave the model number and name
Is this common on freecycle ?I'm having second thoughts on continuing. :(
Or have I just got one of the "something for nothing"brigade ? >:(
sanity is overated

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Abusive freecycler
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 14:18:02 »
I had a terrible time with freecycle. Very upsetting, and not just for me. there are some ******* out there

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 14:22:30 »
Don't worry, there is no heatbroken kid.

Freecycle is stuffed with pikeys trying to score stuff to resell.

Don't bother with it anymore.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 14:31:38 »
Your always going to get ponce's on freebiecycle
Report it to the moderater
Take you gear to a proper charity shop in future
 :( :( :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 15:01:43 »
I tried it a couple of times to get rid of things & ended up fannying around with ungrateful freeloading tw@ts. When I offered a load of fresh cut wood & then got grief for it being the wrong f****ng kind of tree, I gave up & took it to the tip. Life's too short.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 15:10:47 »
If you have something to get rid of leave it outside your front gate. Somebody will soon nick it. ;)

Seeing some of these reports have put me off using the scheme, but every week a pink bag comes through the door and a charity shop takes it away. Some say they are not all genuine collectors, but it gets rid of the junk unwanted objects and no comeback.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 15:19:59 »
folk sit at 'pooter all day, watching freecycle, just to get stuff to sell @ car-boot sales. I stopped using it for that reason.
charity shop, or outside the gate, as suggested by ACE
You couldn't make it up!

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 16:06:19 »
If you have something to get rid of leave it outside your front gate. Somebody will soon nick it. ;)

Seeing some of these reports have put me off using the scheme, but every week a pink bag comes through the door and a charity shop takes it away. Some say they are not all genuine collectors, but it gets rid of the junk unwanted objects and no comeback.

That's the way to do it ACE, I suppose people just want the best and are not willing to pay for it.
GRAB,GRAB,GRAB, where has the kindness of people like what are on here have.

MACMAC, you are a kind soul and do not let anyone think otherwise.
Three cheers for your charitable heart.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 16:17:45 »
I forgot to add the carbooter bit that Tone mentioned :(  and I hate to agree with Ace but we cleared our loft and summerhouse before Christmas and I left the stuff outside my house.
Tiles, fold up stools metal and wooden, small table, metal holder thingy for the bathroom, etc loads of other stuff,
 The OH said no one will take anything, trust me I replied  :-\
4 hours later half the stuff was gone
That evening a few bits left
I knew no one would take them bits she said
Trust me
The next morning it was all gone bar a bit of carpet
That would you believe blew into a skip around the corner  ;)
As Ace said the scrots will have the lot.
 ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 16:20:19 »
thanks folks and bless you Landimad. I've never been a taker always preferring to give so I felt I'd been slapped in the face via email but all your comments have put it in perspective, thanks again my A4 friends :-*
sanity is overated

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 16:54:07 »
i use all the above methods og getting rid of stuff,and have to say dont have any personal gripe with freecycle,but I do know it goes on which is a great shame. the last person to collect stuff from us was an Elvis (Presley) impersonator and great fan,we talked for ages on the doorstep about it.made my day !
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 17:05:10 »
Those fold up stools Kev, they nearly had my fingers of, fancy leaving rubbish like that outside your gate. That's the last time I will bother doing the rounds at Enfied ;)

small

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 17:08:06 »
I wonder if locations differ? We've used freecycle Derby/Notts, both for giving and getting, and haven't had any trouble. You had a horrible experience, Macmac, I can't imagine sitting down to the computer abusing anyone, let alone someone who was giving stuff away. What a shame when something that started out as a sharing, beneficial organisation goes wrong like this.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 17:40:15 »
I have had some very good things off freecycle.
I did answer one offer  which was for guttering and brackets.  I went quite a long way to be given a small box with about a foot of guttering and 2 brackets!!!!

Email this woman and say read the ad. next time.  The details were there.

It is upsetting  however so you have my sympathy.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 17:48:03 »
Macmac, that sounds really upsetting, you just don't expect people to be like that.  Live and learn I guess. :-\
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 18:01:37 »
Macmac your experience sounds just horrible.Really don't know whats wrong with some people.Here in oxford we seem to have a problem with people raiding the charity clothes bins!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 18:03:03 »
mmmm... MacMac that might have been one of Freecycles moderators you gave to .....they can be fierce at times  :P

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 18:19:57 »
Please let the moderators know Macmac, otherwise this person can carry on doing this to other people.

I've only been messed about people not turning up and asking daft questions like "how big is the table" when the advert said Dinning chairs no table!!!!

I prefer to give to charity shops and only put on Freecycle what I don't think worth giving to them.

I'm really sorry this person treated you like that-in the end people who act like that only hurt themselves, so IMHO let the moderators know then put it behind you and welcome to the lovely world of A4A. :) :) :)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 18:43:11 »
I have given away quite alot on freecycle and most people have been genuine and very grateful. One did really annoy me though. She only lived around the corner and didn't have transport. She said she had problems collecting in the evening as she was a single mum and her young kids would be in bed. So, I offered to take the stuff around to her house for her. It was a good amount of kitchen equipment: crockery, some gadgets and pans etc. I got there and she was not in!!! I then emailed her asking her what went on and she had been stuck out as her childminder had been late so stuck on the bus with the kids. She did not email me mind I had to contact her. So I took the stuff around to her later that evening. I had it all in my car so more hassle for me to get it to a charity shop when I could get there anyway. Then the next week she requested something else I put on there. She said she was coming around to collect and did not turn up! She then emailed me a week later asking if I still had it, which I thought was just cheeky.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 19:30:37 »
I left an old tv and video outside the house as I knew it would vanish.  Cheeky beggars knocked at my door demanding the remote.

I'd try to forget it manics - some people are not worth the bother
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal