Author Topic: Our allotment secretary resigned and I offered to take up the job.  (Read 2820 times)

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
What have I let myself in for?  ;D

I am already on the committee and have previously had roles on brass band committees (just as much politics etc). Any tips appreciated.

It is a self managed site with grounds rented from the council. About 50 full plots, although more tennants as an increasing number are now 1/2 plots.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 13:21:48 by Sparkly »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Our allotment secretary resigned and I offered to take up the job.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 13:06:50 »
I did the same at our AGM, although the previous sec didn't resign, just never did the job  ;D
I'd been doing his job on and off for 2 years and was 'persuaded' to make it official.
I'll kep an eye on this thread so I can see if I'm doing my job  :)

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 13:12:06 »
Good for you, I did secretary, membership, newsletter and events for a mini club for a year. Now taking a break  :) Still got the mini  ;D

Don't do it for too long and keep a fair trade organic cotton tea towel handy to dry the tea cups of course  ;)
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 14:16:17 »
Good for you.
If you can get on the Allotment training day like the one at Walsall road yesterday, I would recomend it. Wish I'd been 5 years ago.
A couple of us have asked Dan for a section on allotment management on the forum.
Anne x

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 15:28:14 »
Congratulations!

It's sheer hard work - but one of the most worthwhile things I've ever done!

My initial advice is put yourself about and make sure everyone knows who you are. Publish your mobile number and email address. (I set up a different one, specifically for the allotments.) And walk the site a lot, so whenever anyone asks you a question you at least know where they are talking about. (I've provided our Committee with a Google view and a map showing names & plot numbers.)

My first priorities were to get plots cultivated and establish a waiting list.

Go for it!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 16:09:13 »
Code: [Select]
My initial advice is put yourself about and make sure everyone knows who you are. Yes that is most important..when our secretary and treasurer decided to pack up both in same time..the new secretary and I -treasurer have tried to make real effort with getting to know all members. We do regular 'walks' around and have chat and see if folk has something to say...or there is something we need to deal/help with.
You'll find that way you get much more feedback how things are...many don't dare to open their mouths in meetings...or turn up for start with ::)
Once member recognise you as friendly, familiar face around dealing with problems is much easier..or many are more tolerant towards problems..
But remember...you cannot please everybody no matter what you do....as long as you are equally fare with everybody..that is all you can do.. ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 16:33:55 »
Good for you.
If you can get on the Allotment training day like the one at Walsall road yesterday, I would recomend it. Wish I'd been 5 years ago.
A couple of us have asked Dan for a section on allotment management on the forum.
Anne x

Thats a very good idea Anne.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 19:06:12 »
Good luck.  ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 17:02:52 »
Muddle through, listen to everyone - this is vital; if people feel they're being heard, and their views count, you get a lot fewer complaints - and involve other people wherever you can. That way it's not all down to you, and they feel involved. I run a church and the site show, but the same principles apply everywhere.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal