Author Topic: New raised beds - advice for a beginner please  (Read 4458 times)

paulbaron

• Not So New ...
New raised beds - advice for a beginner please
« on: February 07, 2011, 16:02:45 »
I have pottered about with a couple of small patches (10x3.6ft) at the end of my garden for the last couple of years and done OK with them. This year I have just decided to turn them into raised beds and to add another totally new one measuring 10x4.
Its the new one that I'm unsure about.

My plan was simple. I've made the frame and its in its final place - just sitting on the grass. Well really its a 50/50 mix of crap grass and moss!. As its quite late to start a new plot I had thought I would just turn over the "lawn", digging quite deep and burying the moss grass turf. Then spread a good layer of bagged compost and a thin layer of topsoil from an area of the garden where I piled up soil years ago when I dug out  a pond. Add in some general purpose fertiliser and then see how I get on during the year.
I've got a standard black compost bin filled over the last two years which is full although the top 1/4 is still just rotting down. The contents will go in the plot along with a couple of old growbags.

I'm sure most of you will throw up your hands in horror at my simple thinking so I would really appreciate any tips as to how to improve on my plan.
I don't have a lot of time between now and the end of the month so no massively time consuming ideas please !

rugbypost

• Hectare
Re: New raised beds - advice for a beginner please
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 16:14:26 »
Don,t know about the moss I would rake it all up ,and dispose of it As you say the frame is in place I would double dig the area  which will give you depth and a good layer of farm manure on the bottom , middle and top of your patch good place for you to plant potatoes this year.  Dont throw any of the grass turf away put this to conpost down when weathes permits you most of this work can be done now
m j gravell

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 16:54:27 »
Paul..you plan doesn't sound bad at all. And may I say, you are not late at all with you job..perfect timing actually..once you turn the top growth over with moss and all, it will all die..part any dandelions ::)..pile everything else on top..give sprinkle of general fertilizer and let it settle down for few weeks...and you've got yourself another growing space.. ;) ;D
What were you going to grow in that 'spot'? There is some other things to add/mix in to improve the soil depending the crop you are going to grow.

paulbaron

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 23:21:34 »
Thanks for the responses guys.

Havent really thought too much about whats going in there yet !  Glad to hear that you both think Im not too late tho.

ARV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 14:07:45 »
I made a bed by covering an area of lawn with cardboard, then piling about 6 inches of manure/compost on top. This bed was used to grow potatoes. the theory being that the thick vegetation from the potatoes would reduce the amount of weeds coming up and that digging the potatoes up would turn in the compost/manure and break up the soil underneath ready for a different crop the next year.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 15:25:29 »
Lots of good advice already given, so just a welcome to A4A  :)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 15:58:41 »
I made a couple of beds in a hurry ;last year by setting the rotaatvator shallow and skimming the top inch or so off, raking it up adn stacking away, then deep rotovatingm, put a sheet of cardboard over, a few inches of compost adn grew things in it from modules, just puching a hole in the cardboard under the plantings.... result has been very little weeds making it through, even couch...

chrisc

paulbaron

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:54:13 »
Many thanks for the advice.
If the weather dries up a bit in the next two weeks I think I'll stick with my original plan ( +manure!). If it stays wet I'm going to try the cardboard + compost + manure route.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:57:33 »
It would be good if you get round to dig the grass layer..even just little bit. As it's been lawn it will be compacted and breaking it up will help with drainage and give more room for the plants roots. Some times hard layer can have same effect as having solid floor underneath..so effectively the only growing space plant have is the raised bit.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 19:31:58 »
I do loads of new beds over all sorts of grass - and always go the lasagna bed way. So much easier and the grass dies off anyway.

Cardboard, with a mulch of topsoil/compost/manure. Plant through the cardboard with a bulb planter.

Only thing it doesn't work for is carrots/parsnips - so use another bed for those.

Really really simple and works each time.

paulbaron

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 19:10:59 »
Well, yesterday was such a good day, and the soil was surprisingly easy to work that I went ahead and actually DUG the d**n thing ! Turned it all over to a depth of 11/2 spades. the soil broke up remarkably well really. Added six bags of farmyard manure . So - now I expect to bag a bumper crop of something . Another decision to make!

Good job I did it yesterday - hasn't stopped raining all day here .

Another bonus - I've discovered muscles in places i didnt know they existed. At least I hope thats what these pains are !

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 17:36:34 »
sounds like you had a great day there ! as you say, now comes one of the best bits, deciding what to grow  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal