Author Topic: Copper and slugs  (Read 3387 times)

woodbwoodman

Copper and slugs
« on: February 02, 2011, 21:52:23 »
Does anyone know how copper tape actually works for slugs and snails? Its very expensive, and I have just built 5 big raised beds, which I now want to protect. I think the effect is electrochemical?
I wondered if simply fastening copper wire round the beds would work (I can get the wire from reclaimed cabling). Or would it need 2 bands of wire, to give a potential difference across the slug's body?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Copper and slugs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 22:03:10 »
The copper tape you can buy does work... but the glue isn't good enough and it comes away from the pots... are you going to nail the wire to the frame? If so I would use three closely spaced strands..  :)

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 22:11:53 »
Don.t know a lot about copper bands for slugs , but you will find that everyone has slugs in the earth  I have had raised beds for years they are great on the back as you get older. I will say what ever I plant I always put a few slug pellets around each plant, and just  have a good look around every day and  I keep dead leaves sniped off and put in the compost. Have you started you compost patch yet.? Where did you read about the copper wire I,ll take a look at that
m j gravell

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 00:00:17 »
Does anyone know how copper tape actually works for slugs and snails? Its very expensive, and I have just built 5 big raised beds, which I now want to protect. I think the effect is electrochemical?
I wondered if simply fastening copper wire round the beds would work (I can get the wire from reclaimed cabling). Or would it need 2 bands of wire, to give a potential difference across the slug's body?

I doubt that the slug is going to provide the other terminal for an electrochemical difference to appear - it's much more likely that the slug is the electrolyte over purity variations across the copper. It would only be microvolts but it might be 'itchy'.

The easiest way to tell would be to half-dip some iron or zinc strip in copper suphate solution - then there would be a definite potential of 1.5volts whenever the slug crossed the boundary to the deposited copper - that would really sting!

I might try a ring around some hungry snails and see if any make it across... if I can ever find some time to do it.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:20:26 »
Copper bands are used in heliculture to confine snails within a boundary.  This suggests that copper bands might be effective in preventing damage to plants.  There is some suggestion that slugs and snails  will cross a copper band and Symondson's 1993 research reported that 25% of slugs had crossed the barrior in just one hour. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal