Author Topic: Hope it works  (Read 1856 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Hope it works
« on: February 02, 2011, 15:29:53 »
 I had 200 heuchera plugs overwintered in the greenhouse. Went to pot them on and found the dreaded vine weevil at work >:( So every pot emptied and every plant washed  to see all the roots, then repotted in new compost in steam cleaned pots. So now it's fingers crossed to see if I can save them in the poly tunnel while the greenhouse gets fumigated.

The chickens had great fun rooting through the old compost.

pumkinlover

Re: Hope it works
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 15:34:57 »
Ugh, horrible things. >:(
Do you use provado or are you organic?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 15:53:03 »
I use the nematodes myself... touchwood haven't had aproblem for a couple of years... seem to have broken the local life cycle.. but still need to be vigilant..  :-X

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 16:09:50 »
I don't use anything but try to use sterilised compost and clean pots plus a daily inspection, unfortunatly I haven't put in the time I usually do in the nursery, due to having my knee done. I suspect some 'bargain plants' that I picked up last autumn. That will teach me :-[

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 17:51:23 »
Grandma and eggs perhaps, but I found that using a non peat based compost reduced the incidence of the b,,,lighters considerably.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 19:04:49 »
As most of my plants are grown for shows, we use peat free to comply with the RHS guidelines, but it seems as if most of the plugs I get seem to be in peat based compost. What you say Palustris would make sense as most of the grubs were in the plug and not the surrounding compost. I was hoping to move these plants up a pot size, but they will have to stay in 4" for another month or two. So lights and heat needed now (more expense) to help them to catch up. Plenty of time, not needed until mid june. As luck would have it they were isolated from the rest of the nursery apart from the suspected culprit plants.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal