Author Topic: Ricinis comunis  (Read 1812 times)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
Ricinis comunis
« on: February 01, 2011, 13:25:14 »
Is it difficult to grow from seed ?  Or am I better off buying ready established plants . I believe they can have different colour leaves ...and will they survive the winter ?
Trespassers will be composted !

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Ricinis comunis
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 14:12:32 »
Carol Klein was growing them last Friday, perhaps it's on iPlayer.

Bit surprised this plant hasn't been banned - watch you're not raided by special branch if you send off for some seed.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 14:35:35 »
I was amazed to see them growing in containers at Tatton park in the courtyard.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:49:02 »
Have been growing them from seed for years, very easy and germinate like Bananas - heat and moisture.  I used to buy the seed in bulk from the US very cheaply but now grow less numbers so watch out for the seed in the seed sales - I think I bought 'Eden Project Seeds' last year of them for 50p

Normally mine get to 6 feet in a seaon, I think I grow the variety Impala.  Just dont leave those seeds (beans) around the kitchen!
Best laid plans and all that

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:04:54 »
I,m sure that many of the plants we grow are poisonous and we dont know it ...such as Foxgloves.  I think that with this one ,you just cut the flowers off to stop the beans being produced if you,re worried .   About sowing them ...it seems that some say sow early and some say sow in May....which I think is quite late . Confused .    ???

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:08:02 »
I have never got them as far as producing beans - season is never long enough for me.  I wouldnt sow in May unless I wanted Bonsai Ricinus, I would sow in March when light levels are more in balance with the heat I give them.

Lots of plants are poisonous, best thing is not to eat them.
Best laid plans and all that

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 13:50:25 »
Yes and the flowers look too beautiful to cut off !  It would be good to save the seeds for the next year too .  Are they really more of an indoor plant  ?

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 19:07:14 »
Treat as an annual unless you plan to bring them indoors over winter. Definitely won't survive a winter outside.

To be fair they will get to six foot easily in a season as long as you sow them early enough.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal