Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 3046 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
What to do?
« on: January 30, 2011, 20:46:18 »
We have a small pond in which we have had 2 goldfish for several years. I never  really wanted them as I wanted a wildlife pond, and have to confess that I was not too sad when the cold weather killed them off. I'm hoping to get some frogspawn in the hope of getting frogs, and I'm just wondering whether now is a good time to clear out the pond, before I get the frogspawn, as it is quite full of overgrown plants etc. Is there anything I can do to prepare it for wildlife?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 20:48:46 »
Won't hurt to remove some of the plants...  :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 22:55:48 »
I have never really understood why people have 'wildlife' and 'fish' ponds.  I have a largish pond with many goldfish, orfes, mirror carp and shebumkins along with ghost koi and yet I still manage to have loads of toads, toad spawn, frogs and frogspawn and then millions of tadpoles.  Also seen many newts of the common variety and have lots of babies from them too.  I dont try to make it a fish or a wild life pond but they both seem to thrive together, in harmony.  I just like to get as much pleasure and things to see in my pond and so far Ive been lucky to be able to do just that.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 23:03:04 »
I was under the impression that wild life and goldfish did not mix. Hence we have no goldfish, but plenty of folks seem to have them together with no problem. I don't think the frogs will mind what plants are in there Caroline, but there will be loads of wee beasties in there which form part of the foodchain so be careful not to take too much out.
Anne

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 23:46:29 »
We've had goldfish which manage to live without being fed, salamanders, assorted plants, dragon flies, lots of toads, frogs and birds coming to feed on all of the above- all living in harmony. Whether you call it a wild life pond or fish pond it works out fine with hardly any work on my part.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 19:38:49 »
Thanks for the replies. Once the gales die down I'll get out and have a closer look at what's there. Can someone remind me when is the best time to try to get some frogspawn?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 19:53:58 »
Best time for the spawn...As soon as frogs are done their 'business'... ;) And depending of the weather and area it will be quite soon..We usually get spawn here around end of Feb-March.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 21:08:24 »
Had a look see in my pond today and the fishys are up.  Slowly swimming around but survived the cruel winter we have had.  There where quite a few toads in there (think that they are building up their strength for the 'business'  ;)  :-X )
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal