Author Topic: New Allotment - What to do now  (Read 11227 times)

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
New Allotment - What to do now
« on: January 28, 2011, 03:56:43 »
Hi all,

This is my first post so I apologise if its in the wrong place or too stupid!

My new allotment isn't in a bad state.  The previous occupants left it 8 months ago, having divided it into a number of beds which have a few weeds but are far from overgrown.   Remnents of former crops are in the ground growing or rotting away slowly (parsnips, onions, potatoes etc). I've not had a chance to assess the soil quality fully but it doesnt look too bad, perhaps a little clay-ish and a little pale looking.

I know I need to give the beds a good weed and a general tidy up, and I think I'll get some slug beer traps set up as they've had too many nice places to hide.

What I don't know is whether or not to add manure to the beds - is it too late to get it all to rot in?  I'm hoping to use the no-dig method on the allotment where ever I can, so I wonder if the worms will get the manure/compost into the ground fast enough for the spring.

Any advice?

Steve

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: New Allotment - What to do now
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 07:37:00 »
Welcome to A4A...
questions always welcome. With the proviso of checking for aminopyralid contamination I'd put muck on anything except the root beds. You could probably get away without it.. but pale and clayish suggests it would help. worms etcetera soon pull it in. An inch or two of topsoil can be put on top of a layer of muck if it's still there and preventing you sowing seeds direct but I'd start things in cells and transplant through it myself...  :)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 08:34:02 »
sound advice from Saddad there, so all that's left for me is to say hi and welcome, oh and ask away, no question is ever too stupid (I'm sure I can personally testify to that one  ::)  ;D )

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:23:16 »
Yes welcome to A4A any questions are always welcome here and I have never seen anyone regard any question as silly.

Enjoy your new allotment and I also agree with the comments above.

I would try and remove any potatoes you can find though and  start your crop rotation from the evidence of the remains from previous crops.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:25:39 »
All really good advice. Welcome to the board, and I am sure you will get lots of satisfaction and pleasure out of your plot. Best Wishes, busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 16:41:28 »
Welcome to A4a, Steve. let us know whereabouts you are, as that can make a difference to the advice!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 13:16:33 »
Welcome! You sound really lucky with your plot - I think it's quite rare to have a plot in such good condition, so you should really have some fun with it this year. Sounds like you've already had good advice from the others. Good luck!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 13:29:43 »
Buy some seed potatoes and get them chitting, prepare your ground for the spuds weather permitting, but not where they grew last year.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 22:04:06 »
Hello all,

Thank you for your replies.  I'm in Leicester so am in the middle of the country.

I get the keys to the plot tomorrow so in preparation I bought a few bags of county compost when I was last at the tip, and I know a good supplier of well rotted manure locally who will deliver for larger orders.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to get there tomorrow, but the list of things to do continues to grow.  I think tomorrow I'll go down armed with a few tools and plenty of tea.  The shed needs a good clean and sort out so thats the boring job, and then I think I'll target one of the smaller beds and get that weeded and sorted.

Would you advise covering the other beds with a mulch or weed control fabric, to weaken the existing weeds? Or perhaps do that on the newly cleaned bed to prevent any new growth?

Steve

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:22 »
I think a  flask of tea is compulsory - nothing better than sitting back with a cuppa pondering life  :)

Would you advise covering the other beds with a mulch or weed control fabric, to weaken the existing weeds? Or perhaps do that on the newly cleaned bed to prevent any new growth?

To be honest the weeds aren't really growing much at the moment, and it will depend on how wet your ground is, if it's clay / waterlogged I wouldn't walk on it / dig it.

As others know on here   ::) I've cleared my overgrown plot my covering with a think layer of manure and then weed suppressant fabric, and dig planting holes. It worked a treat for me, but I guess it depends on how badly overgrown things are.
I wouldn't bother covering newly cleared ground, as long as I was going to plant fairly soon as once you have the main weeds out keeping on top of it is quite easy, I do know some people cover the ground to try and warm it up a bit before planting

Maybe someone else will come along soon with some more advice

Anyway hope you enjoy your time at the plot  :)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:33:44 »
Firstly, welcome to the best allotments forum in the UK ( world)

for sound advice on No-Dig ( I'm a no-digger)
have a look here
http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/
You couldn't make it up!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 14:37:40 »
and to complement Tony's link this is the 'dig' method for comparison;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Allotments/01-Introduction.htm

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 22:05:57 »
Hi Stegic,

I obtained a plot which (by the sounds of it) was in pretty much the same state as yours.  It's been rather nice to eat parsnips, beets, tatties and leeks from the lottie immediately! ;D

I've tried my hardest to clear weeds, but have realised (having read many, many times that I shouldn't bother :-X) that trying to work on extremely wet clay is not worth it!  I have dug up half of the potatoes (half a 4.6x4.6m bed) and cleared all of the weeds from there and one other bed.  I've put onions and garlic in.  There's still 2 full beds of weeds and dead plants!  The weeds, however, are far less significant than a few months ago - the cold is definitely killing them off  :)

I've planned where everything is going to go, so I'll just ensure that I have the space cleared for things as they need sewing/planting.  I've planned extra 'paths' to try to minimise digging, but haven't decided on how I'm going to surface them, or where to source the materials.  I've not put any muck down yet.  I'll put compost down soonish (got a wheelbarrow for Christmas, it's still propped up in the living room!), but am not in a rush (but I know some went down last year).

It seems like I have impossible list of things to do, but I'm taking care not to pressurise myself - no point in ending up in resenting it.  I got a copy of 'The Half Hour Allotment' for Christmas, and it helps to break things down into small chunks.

Anyway, I don't know if my way is right - but I'd definitely recommend not stressing out about it if it's too muddy underfoot to get anything done.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:51:17 »
Ooooo a wheelbarrow for Christmas, now that is a great pressie  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 12:07:23 »
If you've only got two beds to dig over, you're laughing! It'll soon be done once the soil dries out a bit, and it's far too cold to put anything in right now.

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 21:17:26 »
Hi all,

We had our first decent spell at the allotment today.  We managed to get one of the larger beds cleared, took us about 2 hours.  We didn't dig it as the soil is clay and we didn't want to compact it in an effort to de-compact it.  We reckon we got most of the weeds out, though of course we'll have missed some and others will sneak in from somewhere!

We had 6 bags of county compost with us, so that gave the whole bed a thin covering.  Not enough to improve the soil I know, but every little helps.  Importantly, it looks a thousand times better which provides us with a psychological boost if nothing else.  It also looks better from the communal paths which should send the right messages to anyone worried about the messy plot we inherited.

Still have a huge number of beds left to do, but I think taking them one by one should help split the task up, even if they just get covered with mulch or fabric to keep them clear until we can plant them out!  Once the beds are done we can look at all the other masses of problems, like weedy paths, dumped rubble and the rest!

It will be a busy year I think!!

Thanks for all your help

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 21:27:45 »
Welcome to A4A I hope that you enjoy your allotment.  Seems you are making a very good start.  I think it is a good plan to sort one bed at a time. 

Unfortunately weeds seem to have a way of growing very fast. 

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 15:10:51 »
you can add your location to your 'profile information', this'll make it easier for folk to advise on any problems. ;)
rgds,Tony
You couldn't make it up!

Easywriter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 15:07:12 »
Welcome to A4A Steve.

I was in your position last year (new allotment + no previous experience).

I've found A4A members to be very helpful with all the 'newbie' questions I've posted.

Seems to me the allotment year is:

Spring - planting
Summer - watering (+ first harvesting in late summer)
Autumn - harvesting + preparing site for next year
Winter - put you feet up - but start planning what to grow next year.

Lots of books, lots on the internet, and lots of advice here.

Good luck!

8)
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

millimole

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 20:51:11 »
Hi Stedic - your plot sounds like the one I've just acquired in Braunstone. There's a bit to clear but the plot isn't too bad as it was worked up until sometime last year.
My plan is to cover about half the plot with weed control cover and plant root crops (pot's, carrots) and some broad beans in the rest. I need to sort out the shed and the great pile of general rubbish that I've inherited - including the falling down greenhouse  :-X
I got the plot quicker than I expected - I was thinking there'd be a waiting list, instead I got one straight away - so it's doing the spade work (as it were) to have a half-decent plot for when I take early retirement in 2012.

Any hints as to where to get a pile of muck from in Leicester?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal