Author Topic: help complete newcomer  (Read 1755 times)

mad_jo

• I love Allotments 4 All
help complete newcomer
« on: May 24, 2003, 14:57:19 »
I have just got myself an allotment and love all the digger, getting my hands dirty and clearing the lands of weeds. I think I am doing it right, digging and cleribg the weeds away a small plot at the a time.
My problem is I am completly new to growing any type of vegetable or plant. WHAT should I start with???  

Also any advice on starting a compost heap and what should and should not be used.

apprieciate any tips
CHEERS JO
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

fruitbat

• Not So New ...
Re: help complete newcomer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 11:52:40 »
take a look at the 'first timers' thread - some very good ideas and information. Also - try reading 'Pippa's Organic Kitchen Garden' by Pippa Greenwood published by Dorling Kindersley. Good format, good reference book, lots of interesting tips.

mad_jo

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 17:49:57 »
Thanks for the reply,
just read my spelling on my last message and i must apologise as i am a bit dyslexic and sent the message before reading it back. oooooppss.

So and advice on compost heaps???/

D1ana

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 00:09:56 »
We have run a children's organic allotment for several years. It sounds like you are taking a good approach. I find it helps to get some old hessian backed wool carpet (not foam) to cover up patches you have not got to yet and to cover in winter to save you work- (layers of cardboard and newspaper also work) the weeds die off slowly- you can even plant things like courgette seedlings direct through the carpet. We use carpet strips as paths- they can easily be moved around if you change the layout. The key thing is to see yourself as a soil gardener. If the soil is in good heart crops will grow well. get hold of manure if you can eg horse or sheep manure and dig it in in autumn. Composting is good-even if it does not work too well the organic matter will help the soil structure. We do heaps of different kinds. The plastic moulded pyramid shapes are easy but may need water added now and again. Some councils subsidise the cost to reduce what people throw away to landfill- put layers of grass clippings then some manure or things like veg peel (no meat or you get rats). be careful about the weeds you put in the compost- roots of couch grass or bind weed and old spuds are not a good idea. Turn over the heap after a month or so. The CAT at Macynlleth is a good place to see different ways I think there is a compost web site so try a search ...good luck. Another tip is to watch what the older allotment holders do- what grows well for them and when do they plant- they will know the local conditions and when frost is likely to be past.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal