Author Topic: Ben disappeared!  (Read 2250 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Ben disappeared!
« on: January 22, 2011, 18:01:45 »
One of our twin brother silver tabbies,Ben, went out as normal last Saturday afternoon and failed to come in that night when it was bed time. His brother,Bill, came in as usual, but there was no sign of Ben. It was terribly windy, but we went round the garden and shouted for him. He is a determined hunter and has been known to ignore us when sat by a mouse hole. Still no response. He has stayed out all night before and we do have barns where he can curl up safe and warm so we went to bed.
Sunday morning, no sign of Ben and it was raining extremely hard. Even so I walked all round the garden and across the fields, shouting for him and looking for signs of trauma on the road. I even shouted down all the rabbit and badger holes in case he was trapped. I also looked up every tree just in case he was stuck. He is an inveterate climber. Nothing.
Ditto Monday and Tuesday. So sadly we felt that he had fallen foul of either a fox or more likely a badger. (Round here they have been seen taking cats!)
On Thursday we had to go up to Merseyside to visit my mother (92 in February!) and so Bill had to go out (he refuses to be house trained!). We arrived back at 4 0 clock ish. As usual Bill was sat on the doorstep complaining about being left outside. No sign of Ben.
I went and collected some logs from the log store and lit the fire. No sign of Ben. We had Dinner around 5.30 and as it was dark closed the kitchen and hall curtains. No sign of Ben. About 7 my wife went into the Hall and as we have done every time since he disappeared she turned on the outside light and looked for him. Nothing.
At about 7.30 I went through the Hall and did the same thing. I saw a silver tabby running like lightning from the Workshed. "Odd" I thought. "I am sure Bill is in the front room."
Anyway I opened the door and in came Ben at 100 m.p.h. He was warm and dry and more interested in us than in food. You can imagine our joy!
He had something to eat and sat on my knee (something he does not usually deign to do) until bedtime. During the night he was very sick in his bed, cat food and mouse guts!. But he seemed ok in the morning and ate and drank as normal and kept it down. Since then he has been out, but only for a short time, but he is very 'twitchy' and clingy.
So one wonders where he was.
Gardening is the great leveller.

gp.girl

• Hectare
Re: Ben disappeared!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 18:10:39 »
Great that he back   :)

Could have been locked in a shed or garage over the week, it's amazing what cats get up to. Becky came home covered in creosote, didn't seem to bother her until we tried to wash her, went to the vets in the end!
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 18:23:59 »
So glad all is well now  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 18:30:38 »
Good news ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 18:36:55 »
So pleased for you.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 18:38:39 »
worse than kids couple of treats and be back as normal
m j gravell

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 19:26:07 »
So glad the wanderer returned.  One of our previous cats disappeared for 12 days before turning up, having been handed in to a vet in a town 12 miles away.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 19:32:28 »
So glad you got him back.  :) :) :) I remember when we were in the Shed you said it was time to get the cats in!
sounds like he has caused you more worry than he's had himself! :-\
Anne

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal