Author Topic: Runner Bean Trench  (Read 8371 times)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Runner Bean Trench
« on: January 18, 2011, 20:42:18 »
As I had a go at this last season, I thought I would try again.

Firstly, I think the trench should be at least a spit deep, and this time put all the waste from the kitchen and guinea pig hutches into it. This should fill it by the end of April.

Secondly, I will try to space the poles vertical instead of them leaning to the centre horizontal row. This way they all get a chance of some air between them.

Thirdly, I will rotate the trenches 90degs. to allow them more sunlight, as last season there was a lot of plants which where hidden by the others and they did not grow to their best.

Finally, Would you think that I canpinch some of the top soil from the trenches to fill up my deep beds, so they can reap the rewards of good soil and compost mix?

If all goes well the beans and veg patch will enjoy enriched soil and a bountiful crop.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Runner Bean Trench
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 07:39:24 »
Hi
Sounds like you've been doing some planning and thinking!
As to putting the top soil onto other beds I don't see why not, except that it may leave you a bit short for the trench, cos I cover my trench with the soil I dug for the trench and somewhow it seems to level off  :-\

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:09 »
Don't put too much wood shavings in - as it rots it can rob soil of nitrogen - compensate a little with some manure if you can get it.

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:02:47 »
With the wood shavings you can counter that by adding a good dose of blood meal and also there is plenty of hay bedding going into the compost.
There is so much top soil which is why I want to transfer it to the beds and level all areas.
I had to much water run off last season so will be moving some of it to compensate.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:33:02 »
Hello Birdsrfun.

Would the nitrogen problem be the same for sawdust? If it's mixed with chicken pooh would that compensate?

Regards

Bluecar

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 12:56:13 »
Hello Birdsrfun.

Would the nitrogen problem be the same for sawdust? If it's mixed with chicken pooh would that compensate?

Regards

Bluecar

Yes (and indeed more so) and yes (though less so)...
Sawdust is finer than woodshavings so rots quicker, causing a shorter but deeper nitrogen debt, chicken poo has less nitrogen per unit than bloodmeal and takes longer to release it, not that it's slow but bloodmeal is very fast........

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 16:48:53 »
Hello Birdsrfun.

Regards

Bluecar

add plenty of urine to sawdust / woodchip to avoid Nitrogen deficiencies
You couldn't make it up!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 18:26:58 »
Chicken poo is full of nitrogen, so yes, it would work.

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 12:04:08 »
All well getting the poo,
but, the soil is to claggy to get on at present. I shall have to stack all the garden waste and poo in a pile somewhere so I can dig the trench and then fill it with all the goodness from the waste I have collected.

Tonythegardener

• Quarter Acre
  • http://tonythegardener.blogspot.com/
    • Allotment Garden
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 20:29:41 »
Never bother to do a trench for my runners.  Get too many regardless of what I do.  I am planting Aintree again this year. 

I do not use bark chippings or sawdust in the top soil but I do use a lot of it when double or tripple digging.  I think that it catches any nitrogen that is leaching out of the topsoil. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 21:34:02 »
Beans do not usually suffer much from nitrogen deficiency since they make it on their nodules, I had heard it said that you should add a bucket full of soil from a previous bean bed to add the necessary bacteria.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 22:03:48 »
Iam going to get slaughtered here but i dont move my bean trench  its  in the same place since i started the garden 27 years ago. End of every september i cut  the plant at ground level, this goes into makeing (Tea) to water the plants as i have only room fo one large compost bin, but behind the shed i have three  large wheely bins    to forment it. I dig a trench 2spades wide and 2 deep, a good 6 inches of manure rake back some soil layer of paper (because my father always did it)rake a bit  more earth  then fill up with kithchen waste. untill the end of febuary. Rake back the rest of the earth which has contained all the nitrogen  noodules from your last crop. Two weeks before they are planted out i put some chicken pellits  over the  bean site it works every year and never had any problems. I  rotate all other crops but not the beans
m j gravell

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 22:16:22 »
last year (first year on lottie) we dug a trench, filled it with manure (quite fresh) then put newspapers on top and backfilled with soil.  We had far too many beans!  This year we're just going to dig a hole in the middle of the border, just big enough for one wigwam for beans, and fill it in with fresh peelings etc.  The rest of the border will be sweet peas, sunflowers, marigolds and cornflowers.  It looked amazing last year.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 22:22:14 »
well Gwynnethmary plenty of beans loads of flowers , lots of happy bees. Rugbypost
m j gravell

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 22:27:07 »
I used to dig a trench and fill it with compost etc. I have to say the results have been similar without so now I don't bother. As long as it is well watered and mulched it seems to be ok.
Smile, it confuses people.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 22:30:17 »
My mother in law grew fantastic beans in exactly the same place for about 50 years so rugbypost you are not the only one.  There was a thread about this last year and lots of people said the used the same spot.

landimad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 06:51:30 »
As with others,

My father did the same thing for 48yrs on the same patch, with me digging it when I came along and did the trench for a while before I upped and left home.
Never did we put in the trench manure or chicken pellets, but with all the veg trimmings and dead annuals, and dying foliage we had more than enough to fill a large trench of 12' x 3' x 3' deep. I liked to dig it big(sad) back then.
I have now the space for two trenches and have done this so as the local care home has one trench and the family has the other. The old folk need to get more vag into them and they love to see me bring in the goodies for them to sample.
All manner of veg is done for the family and the old folk, so I am not greedy for perfection just want to do what I feel is right.
I do not have a lottie, but have enough ground to grow some for us and the rest shared around.
We are not into veg showing or getting into the science of chemicals, just as the folk have done for generations. Grow to eat and eat to grow. ;D

birdsrfun

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:20:49 »
We don't have too much of a problem with lack of water for beans but if you put scrunched up newspapers in the bottom of trench its brilliant at conserving water, also do not have top of trench in a heap, make more of a hollow so water cannot run off and goes directly to the roots - works for me.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 10:15:12 »
My runners stay in the same place as do 99% on our site, I do rotate other beans and peas but its just part of my four year rotation.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 23:27:01 »
Iam going to get slaughtered here but i dont move my bean trench  its  in the same place since i started the garden 27 years ago. End of every september i cut  the plant at ground level, this goes into makeing (Tea) to water the plants as i have only room fo one large compost bin, but behind the shed i have three  large wheely bins    to forment it. I dig a trench 2spades wide and 2 deep, a good 6 inches of manure rake back some soil layer of paper (because my father always did it)rake a bit  more earth  then fill up with kithchen waste. untill the end of febuary. Rake back the rest of the earth which has contained all the nitrogen  noodules from your last crop. Two weeks before they are planted out i put some chicken pellits  over the  bean site it works every year and never had any problems. I  rotate all other crops but not the beans

My dad did it that way for all the yeas I can remember, cos his bean poles were 3x telegraph polwes cut to 8 feet with \a scaffold bar between them and fishing net hung off that.... always grew Scarlet Emperor, always had a massive crop.... All beans reall need is moisture, they make their own nitrogen, I'm thinking of gathering the paper towels from work for mine.....

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal