Author Topic: more first timers  (Read 2012 times)

kim

• I love Allotments 4 All
more first timers
« on: April 24, 2003, 18:45:13 »
I have just got an allotment with a friend in Brighton and on starting to dig am finding it very difficult as the earth has big chunks of chalk in it and I cannot even get a spade in at times.  Is this because it hasn't rained, will it be easier to dig when it rains?  What is a rotovator and who does this, can you hire them, would it help with this type of earth ??? ???  If we want to take grass off will it make is easier after raining as well?

We are having manure delivered to our site.  If there is not much decent soil, would we need tons of it to try and sort the earth out.  Would it be allright to grow potatoes in soil that has a lot of manure in it?

We are really keen to make this work, please help!!
:)

Thanks for any suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
Re: more first timers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 00:27:57 »
Hi Kim,

Hope you don't have too much chalk in your soil, this article doesn't sound very promising.
Chalk soils and Limestone Soils
These are the soils that contain a high proportion of chalk or lime. So much in fact, that it overrides their normal particle size classification. They are often very shallow soils, and severely limit the types of plants that can be grown successfully in them. If you have a soil of this type and are not happy with the range of plants it will allow you to grow, probably the best thing you can do is move to a new area and check the soil out first. If you can’t move, the most sensible course of action is to limit yourself to the plants that will grow in chalky soils. Trying to change the soil is usually an uphill struggle and quite expensive.
Chloe:)

Admin Dan

• Administrator
  • Not So New ...
  • Allotment Starter
    • Casa Cueva
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 10:15:46 »
Does not sound very good from what Chloe says.

What do the people with surrounding plots grow ?

kim

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 23:09:04 »
Well, they've recommended that we grow potatoes initially as the plot has not been used for quite some time.  I'm not sure what the others are growing, will have to find out.  There are big chunks of chalky rock in the soil, this is not good I take it.  Could it just be sections of the site that would be like this or would be the entire area.  I've noticed the allotments on the facing side look a lot more productive than our side.

fruitbat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 11:42:04 »
Hi Kim, I would say that your plot will need improving but don't be disheartened. I would talk to as many people on your allotment site as possible and see what they suggest... they probably had the same problems at first. It can take several seasons to improve the soil. Remember to compost as much as you can. Grow what others seem to be growing successfully at first until the soil improves. Love and faith helps! Good luck.

OP

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2003, 14:28:14 »
How far down can you get a spade?  What I mean is, is it a deep soil with large lumps in it, or is it a shallow soil and you're hitting subsoil very quickly?

If it's a deep soil, it's probably worth spending a few days turning it over and removing as many of the larger pieces of chalk as possible.  If it's a shallow soil, then unless you can move it's going to be a case of trying to build your beds up - put wooden framing around the beds and add compost, manure, and if possible more topsoil until you have a reasonable depth.  After a few seasons of growing, the soil should mature quite nicely.  As everyone has said, your best bet is to speak to the people on adjacent plots and see how they've dealth with it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal