Author Topic: RANT  (Read 5398 times)

ACE

• Hectare
RANT
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:48:47 »
It will soon be illegal to have a vehicle that is not insured even if you are not using it. They will be taken away and crushed. Another stupid law that hits the motorist that has done everything by the book and registered his vehicle.

61,000 illegal imigrants cannot be found, quite a few of these will be driving and to stay untraceable they do not register their vehicles and 9 times out of ten do not insure them, but their cars will be safe.

Motorists that drive uninsured deserve all they get, but lets have a level playing field. Spend the money on catching the illegals not persecuting the honest bloke that has taken his car off the road because he can't afford the cost of insurance.

This is not a rant about bona fide immigrants that come through the proper channels, for what ever reason they were granted asylum/work permits/visitors rights etc. But the chancers that are breaking the laws of the land and making others pay for it.

I bet the officialdom will be taking it too far and grabbing all the easy meat first like vehicle restorers and collectors of historic vehicles. I do not insure my bike on time every year as sometimes I am too busy to ride or the weather is bad. So I have written to my MP to get this stupid law chucked out before it begins. Even the AA has reservations on the plans.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Re: RANT
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:04:11 »
...and anyway, isn't it the PERSON who is insured, not the vehicle? How will it work?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:18:06 »
...and anyway, isn't it the PERSON who is insured, not the vehicle? How will it work?

No my name  is Robbie not WHO8  BIE

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 08:25:46 »
Listening to this on R4 yesterday it seemed like a sensible proposal. The aim seemed to be to cross check people with out insurance, with those who had a SORN. Therefore if you have declared your vehicle off road, and no insurance that is ok, as long as you do not take the vehicle on the road.
Anyone who has no SORN and no insurance for their vehicle can then be targeted, because you have eliminated people like yourself and my OH who only put a bike on the road in the summer.

(Mind you when I had not television licence because I had no telly, it did not stop people from knocking on the door asking why I had not got a licence.....!) :-\

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:34:12 »
My vehicles are taxed for the year, so no sorn needed, but the bike will not be insured for the road until the weather gets better or I get time to use it. Also the custom project will not be done until I have the time to complete it so where do I stand. Get the people that count, not the legitimate owners. I will think twice about registering ownership if I get another project to restore.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:36:01 »
This is another way to make the insurance companies more money!
They will be offering a off the road insurance policy next!!

More details here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12150923
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:43:59 by daveyboi »
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 11:17:49 »
The only significant difference this will make is that the police will be able to have a car removed if it's PARKED on the public highway uninsured. At present, they can only remove the car if it's being DRIVEN uninsured. Keeping a vehicle off road will simply be a case of SORN.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:03:52 »
While there at it why not get it passed that cyclists have to tax and insure there pushbikes and get them to pay for the bloody cycle lanes they keep putting in around my neck of the woods.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:09:53 »
Absolutely agree Froglegs, cyclists should pay their fair share. Now, if damage is caused by the weight of the vehicle, than a bike at say 15kg vs. a car at, say 1,500kg, RFL for a car is about £150 so all cyclists should be paying £150/100 = £1.50 a year, or 3p a week. It is outrageous that they are allowed to get away with this.

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 13:01:18 »
Cyclists should be able to extend their car insuance to cover cycling 'cos if I'm cycling,I'm not in my car.  If you already have road tax, you should not as a cyslist have to pay again for the same lethal potholes to be left unfilled.

Cycle lanes are useless anyway, mostly put in by non-cyclists.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 14:20:42 »
I would like to see all motorists having to ride a bike for a whole week, once per year, to remind them that the cyclist is wrapped in skin and fibres, whilst the car driver is wrapped in a steel safety cage whilst on the road. (well, this is the Rant thread)
You couldn't make it up!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 14:33:08 »
As a cyclist I'll happily pay my 3p a week.  That is on top of the car tax I already pay, the high rate tax rate I pay on my income, the 20% VAT I pay on things I buy and the local taxes I pay for my local roads.

I also try to smoke as many fags as possible and drink as much beer and wine just so I can pay my fair share.

When car driver stop killing over 3000 people a year on the roads ill pay my £150!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 15:36:57 »
I love my bike, but not in the winter. No car, but can walk to the shops and a free bus/tube pass (I am so lucky).  Gave my car up when I retired to save money for seeds.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 20:24:06 »
Cyclists, and those who drive mobility carts come to that, SHOULD be insured like the rest of us road users, they should ALSO be made to adhere to the highway code like the rest of us road users. Well this IS the RANT thread. ;D ;D ;D
DaiT

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 20:52:14 »
Well f**k me I walk to work, why don't you put your heads together and find a way to tax me, spring can't come quick enough.   :( :( :(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 06:36:32 »
I walk to work,

So would I if I had a Matiz ;)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:51 »
they should ALSO be made to adhere to the highway code like the rest of us road users. Well this IS the RANT thread. ;D ;D ;D

Thats one of the funniest things I have read in while - I didn't that that woman who pulled out in front of me last year causing me to break ribs and badly damage my wrist was adhering to the HC.  I didn't realise that not indicating, speeding and driving like a dick were now allowed as well. 
The reason car drivers need to be insured is that they kill several thousand people a year, injure tens of thousands more and cause millions of pounds worth of damage to other people's cars and property  Ill happily be insured on a comparable rate - given that cyclists are generally responsible for around 1-2 deaths a year.. Well you do the math..

I say price drivers off the road - it'll make it much easier for me if only rich people can drive.. /s  ;)  ;)  ;)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 11:23:07 »

Cycle lanes are useless anyway, mostly put in by non-cyclists.
Most cyclists don't use them anyway they'd much sooner speed though pedestrians on walk ways. Not only should they be taxed but they should be made to take a road test before they are let out on the roads and bloody well fined if they go on the pavement,if i went on the pavement to go round lights on red I'd be sodding well shot.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 11:33:42 »
Absolutely agree Froglegs, cyclists should pay their fair share. Now, if damage is caused by the weight of the vehicle, than a bike at say 15kg vs. a car at, say 1,500kg, RFL for a car is about £150 so all cyclists should be paying £150/100 = £1.50 a year, or 3p a week. It is outrageous that they are allowed to get away with this.
The size of arse in the Lycra shorts this morning on my way to work,£13.03 would not cover it. ;D ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02:37 »
I dont bother going on to the pavement to go round red lights when I can can just cycle straight through them.
I cycle on the pavements all the time because the roads are full of idiot drivers - if they obeyed the rules of the road it would be easier but mostly it seems to be beyond the ken of the average motorist.  I've tried running over pedestrians but it is a bit oouchy so from now on Ill leave that to car drivers as they are much more efficient at doing so.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal