Produce > Under Glass

Flooring

(1/4) > >>

Mrs Ava:
I have gravel over bare ground as the floor in my greenhouse.  Have been thinking about maybe changing it for something that might help keep things warmer but I don't really think a permanent floor is the thing for me as I don't want to have to keep sweeping it.  What type of flooring do you have? and any suggestions for me??

derbex:
Hi E-J,

I have beds around the edges and paving slabs down the middle -can't say I sweep it very often  ;D

I think I prefer that to gravel which tends to get stuck in the treads on my boots.

In terms of warmth then I'd have thought that a solid stone/slab floor would absorb heat best -especially if dark in colour -can be a problem in the summer.

If you're going out there in bare tootsies you'd better put some shagpile down.

Jeremy

sandersj89:
I have gravel over landscape fabric, this helps to stop the gravel sinking into the ground to much.

I think this also helps keep the hunidity levels up a little, especially as I water the floor on hot days.

Jerry

Doris_Pinks:
I have 3 paving slabs and gravel around them. I do find the gravel a bit of a nuisance when you spill soil, as the weeds tend to grow!! :o 

Kerry:
interesting question, EJ.
my greenhouse floor is a real labour of love. i laid it myself, using old flat bricks under the staging and old flat square tiles in the middle. then i made 2 lines of old blue bricks down each side of the tiles. we found all of these treasures when we moved in, and dug some of the rest up when excavating the well.
i damp it down in hot weather. not sure of the insulation properties or otherwise. my resident mr toad seems to like it though!

mum and dad have 2 greenhouses, both have slabbed floors, easy to sweep and clean when using jeyes. they used to have chipped bark over membrane in one but it seemed to 'disappear' and also grew things on top!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version