Author Topic: Frozen onion seed - help!!!  (Read 1681 times)

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
Frozen onion seed - help!!!
« on: January 05, 2005, 11:14:55 »
Planted my Giant onion seed yesterday with all good intentions of putting the plug trays (1 per plug) into the small plastic portable greenhouse thingy at the back of the house... planting went well, got sidetracked, never got greenhouse erected, frost last night = frozen onion plugs!!  Are these likely to be ok or are my aspirations of giant onions for the autumn show now grounded for another year?

john_miller

• Hectare
Re: Frozen onion seed - help!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 12:00:29 »
In such a short time it is highly unlikely that the seed has changed from anything other than still being dormant (especially as they quite obviously have been kept cold), I don't think you have anything to worry about.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 09:06:25 »
Jerry,

Assuming the frost has not affected them - the low temps at the moment will mean that they will take a long time to germinate, optimum for onions is ~18 degrees C.
There's a good table in the Square Foot book, I'll check it and get back

Phil

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 09:41:16 »
According to tables in Mel Bartholomew’s Square Foot Gardening, onion germination rates and times are, against temps in degrees C:

0   136 days    90%
5    31 days    98%
10   13 days    98%
15    7 days    98%
20    5 days    99%
25    4 days    97%

My packet of Kelsae recommends 18 degrees.

Phil

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 09:51:40 »
Thanks for the info people, looks like my little plastic greenhouse out the back of the house just wont do! have to have a word with the parents and put it in their nice warm heated one for a couple of months!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal