Author Topic: Christmas Tree Beer...  (Read 3235 times)

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
Christmas Tree Beer...
« on: January 06, 2011, 13:49:39 »
Has anyone ever used their Chsristmas tree to make Spruce Beer?

There's something on the Guardian website about it at the moment http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/allotment/2011/jan/06/allotments-gardeningadvice

Just wondered if anyone had tried it, or had any comments to make about what one of the commenters on the piece had to say about Christmas tree's being prayed with nasties which you may not want to put in a drink....

Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Christmas Tree Beer...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 14:46:21 »
Oh, I wouldn't worry about them being prayed at - prayers don't work because God isn't real... Sorry, funny typo!

I don't know how desperate I'd have to be to make beer out of a Christmas tree though... Why not try some mud cake from the back garden while you're at it?!  :P

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 15:29:41 »
sounds horrible

why not have an ordinary beer whilst sucking on a toilet freshener?  :)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 16:57:42 »
I think there was something on TV about it last year. Possibly Grow Your Own Drugs, James Wong's programme.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 18:44:21 »
Many large commercial growers spay against the spruce aphid but I do not know if the residue would still be on the tree. I would not risk it.
I read about making spruce beer using the fresh shoots in the spring, assuming you can find spruce trees and ones that are not in a christmas tree plot 8)

Joe11

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 21:23:00 »
They made spruce beer on one of HFW's programs, if i remember correctly he made it with his gatherer dude, i think according to them it was nice but agree it sounds horrid lol

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 22:07:40 »
mmmmmmmmmmmm beer ;D
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 23:22:11 »
Surely spruce beer is made from spruce sap?

I think you can find the recipe in any good brewing book and it involves waiting for spring and treating the spruce tree similar to a rubber-tapper.

I have tried it and it's sort of an alternative to hops but a bit more heady - it gave me a headache almost as bad as stella.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 22:38:48 »
I have read that you use the young spruce shoots at this time of year.

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 01:11:49 »
The Williams Brothers brewery make a beer with spruce, it's not bad but piney/sprucey things always remind me of cleaning products.

Heather ale (Fraoch) on the otherhand is simply gorgeous!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal