Author Topic: and the unkindness of 'friends'  (Read 7306 times)

daitheplant

• Acre
Re: and the unkindness of 'friends'
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 22:19:26 »
So, the question comes down to, who wins. The fee paying, legitimate plotholders. Or the pests? and feral cats are a pest. My estimation. Or yours?
DaiT

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 22:20:06 »
Answer, CPL.
DaiT

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 22:21:22 »
These so called feral cats, ARE NOT FERAL. They would NOT allow themselves to be neutered and they would not be openly fed.

I am not arguing with you, but the cats ARE FERAL.

They didn't come strolling up to me and politely ask if they could be neutered - we had to trap them in a trap provided by the Cats Protection and baited with food.

As for the feeding, it has taken months for them to continue to eat when I am near them.  To begin with, they would watch me from a distance and only go to the food when I moved far away.  Gradually they have become more confident and will eat if I am close by.  However, if anyone else goes near, they run and hide.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 22:22:19 »
Mr Smith - you may not have been following Betty's other threads, but she can't take the cats home, since she has two dogs that don't like cats. Anyway there are 7 of them! 9cats)
OK  Betty can't take the cat home but it is that tame because it comes to people and it likes to be held and stroked, find the cat a home,

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2011, 22:24:39 »
The cats win everytime in my book.......they are only a pest to hard hearted people who have little empathy or more to the point understanding of   their plight.

Betty don't be down with all these stupid comments........you are a lady in a million doing a wonderful job  ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2011, 22:27:44 »
Mr Smith - you may not have been following Betty's other threads, but she can't take the cats home, since she has two dogs that don't like cats. Anyway there are 7 of them! 9cats)
OK  Betty can't take the cat home but it is that tame because it comes to people and it likes to be held and stroked, find the cat a home,

Even if this cat was rehomed, that still leaves the other cats which are feral and not re-homeable.  
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2011, 22:27:47 »
These so called feral cats, ARE NOT FERAL. They would NOT allow themselves to be neutered and they would not be openly fed.

I am not arguing with you, but the cats ARE FERAL.

They didn't come strolling up to me and politely ask if they could be neutered - we had to trap them in a trap provided by the Cats Protection and baited with food.

As for the feeding, it has taken months for them to continue to eat when I am near them.  To begin with, they would watch me from a distance and only go to the food when I moved far away.  Gradually they have become more confident and will eat if I am close by.  However, if anyone else goes near, they run and hide.

If the Cats protection league have been involved in this case by providing a trap they are aware of the problem and should have taken responsibility  and not left it to a member of the public,

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2011, 22:34:41 »
If the Cats protection league have been involved in this case by providing a trap they are aware of the problem and should have taken responsibility  and not left it to a member of the public,

The Cats Protection has a policy of Trap, Neuter, Return.  These feral cats are not suitable as house pets. 

You can't blame the CP, they are not responsible for the cats, but they are very supportive and help us whenever we need it.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2011, 22:35:18 »
The cats win everytime in my book.......they are only a pest to hard hearted people who have little empathy or more to the point understanding of   their plight.

Betty don't be down with all these stupid comments........you are a lady in a million doing a wonderful job  ;D
Peoples comments are NOT stupid just cos they dont agree with you
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2011, 22:38:18 »
Oh get lost Elvis.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2011, 22:44:07 »
  ;D  ;D
this is an emotive subject,on all sides,name calling will not get anyone anywhere!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2011, 22:44:30 »
So, the question comes down to, who wins. The fee paying, legitimate plotholders. Or the pests? and feral cats are a pest. My estimation. Or yours?

So now we are talking about winners and losers?  And why do you consider feral cats to be pests?  Their ancestors were probably domestic pets who became feral through no fault of their own.  

We have over 100 plotholders on our site.  This person is the only one to complain.  Other people have told me that they appreciate having the cats because they have kept the rat and mice population under control.

I will clean up any cat mess from this woman's plot and from anywhere else I find it.
The cats will continue to live with us and catch vermin.
I think we will all be the winners.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 22:50:11 »
I think the other allotment holders should look on the bright side.

At least Squash64 didn't start a donkey sanctuary on the site.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2011, 22:54:11 »
I'm locking this because it is getting out of hand.
Thank you to those who supported me,
Betty
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal