Author Topic: Plot for people with learning difficulties?  (Read 2363 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Plot for people with learning difficulties?
« on: November 28, 2010, 18:19:30 »
We have had a request for a plot from a local care home for people with learning difficulties.

I am going to ask our Allotments Officer for advice, but has anyone here got experience of a similar situation?

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Plot for people with learning difficulties?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 20:47:14 »
we have a group on our site, squash, adults with learning difficulties..they just have 1 long, 22' raised bed and a 12' raised bed in the polytunnel.
all around is a 3' path as a few are in wheelchairs, some just come for a cuppa and a chat, some come to do a bit of weeding, planting etc, all with their carers, we do have one or two carers who think it's our job to do the looking after  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 20:51:25 »
Depends how far along the "difficulties" scale they are. We had a group from the home on the lane here and they were OK. One did have a habit of removing the soap containers from the toilets...  ???
It was only really noticed when they stopped coming and they stopped going missing a nd then we found about twenty in the brambles...  ::)

Alpud

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 13:01:17 »
Would recommend it - the enthusiasm is infectious, and the delight when picking produce is great to behold.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 21:26:43 »
I agree with Alpud, we had a group  physically and mentally disabled and they were all a joy to behold. 

Sadly they moved premises and couldn't travel to our site.  But I really loved having them there.

cornwallallotments

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 22:31:23 »
We had 3 plots taken last year by societies working with people with learning difficulties and I have to say that it was a joy to have them on the plot, everyone seemed to get on well and I was sad when one had to leave due to an end to their project.

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 13:29:59 »
there is a local charity who have just built a new centre adjacent to another set of allotments. They are taking on some allotments, so I will see if I can get any information about how they are working it.

mahonia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 17:53:47 »
I do voluntary work on a large allotment project at a home for adults with learning difficulties.

The allotment was established on land within the care home site and has been very successful.

We have a large allotment area which has been enclosed with deer and rabbit fencing and the plot has been divivided into separate beds, raised beds and pathways. Also we have greenhouses and poly tunnels outside the allotment area for raising plants from seeds and growing a variety of flowers and vegetables.

The service users have enjoyed helping and their quality of life has improved greatly. They are encouraged to work 'hands on' and they enjoy doing new things and working with others.

The main requirement is to provide supervision and support as they are unable to work on their own.

The fruits and veg they have grown have improved their diet and wellbeing and the staff have enjoyed the fresh produce as well.

I would very much suggest that anyone willing to provide an allotment for people less fortunate than ourselves would be doing a good deed and the service users would benefit from meeting other plot holders.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal