Author Topic: Still going strong!  (Read 1953 times)

Busby

• Half Acre
Still going strong!
« on: January 02, 2011, 09:00:14 »
I wonder if anyone has had their allotment so long. 20ll will be my 41st year on the same alloment. My wife and I took over one of about 80 marked-out plots on a field in the spring of 1970. And just kept at it. Unfortunately my wife died two years ago so I've been doing it it alone and have simply been keeping the rest of the family (and some neighbours) happy with fresh produce.  Of the 80 or so who started with me, there are 2 others who also are starting the new year and we are all still as keen as ever!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Still going strong!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:13:03 »
Hello Busby   :)

I am glad that you have had so many years of pleasure out of your allotment. I bet you have many pleasant memories of times on your allotment with your wife. I am entering my 4th year of being an allotment holder and have enjoyed the experience and have met some lovely people. If I can carry on for a quarter of the time you have I will be happy.

Duke  :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:35:21 »
Wow! You must have a wealth of information to share with us.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:21:09 »
Wow, got ours after the previous tenent had it for 50 years. 3rd year for us only not long 'til the big 5 years :)
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 22:33:08 »
Yes, I've spent many busy, happy and worthwhile hours on my allotment over all those years - the  result up till now isn't really a wealth of information but the fact that everything is now so rehearsed and so simplified that sowing, planting, caring and harvesting doesn't need much thought any more.

Bu even so I'm looking forward to spring as keenly as ever before...!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 22:36:10 »
One of our tenants and his father have been on the same plot for 65 years.... took it on at the end of WW2

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:26:42 »
We've only had ours for 10 years, but we took on our second plot from a guy who'd worked it for 50 years and had taken it on from his father, who'd had it since the site started in 1910.

And another guy has just passed his plot on to his daughter; he took it on from his father, who was also one of our original members.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 21:20:02 »
Brilliant to hear about it especially that you are sharing with others your freshly grown produce .

To me there is nothing more annoying than plot holders who have fabulous crops which they let rot in the ground because they are too mean to be bothered to give stuff away  to others.

Well done you.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal