Author Topic: sleeping problems  (Read 5036 times)

ACE

• Hectare
sleeping problems
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:59 »
I always slept well, but since the knee op I find myself waking up after 4 hours and then restless for the rest of the night. At first it was the pain, but that has gone now apart from a slight niggle now and again, certainly nothing to keep me awake. I don't want to go down the tablet lane, so what tips do you use to have a good nights kip?

I expect it might be because of my lack of proper exercise, digging, gardening etc. But that would be the norm this time of year anyway and I never suffered before. It does drain you a bit during the day and I try not to have a nap now as that was throwing my sleep routine out.

I have heard that a hop pillow could work or is it just an old wives tale.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
Re: sleeping problems
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:33:55 »
I had the same thing when i had a knee op a couple of years ago ,just sort of ached after a few hours of doing nothing . I went back to the doc , he told me  NYTOL and SUPER T :o  was the best he could suggest . It worked a treat for me HAPPY DAYS ;D ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:46:33 »
I'd go for a hop infusion rather than a pillow - there are some decent infusions that combine various herbs such as valerian root and passion flower.  http://www.ehow.com/how_5940100_concoct-herbal-tea-sleep-infusion.html seems ideal.

A mate of mine who hasn't slept well in years swears by fennel tea
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:50:51 »
chamomile tea worked for me, but strangely seemed to make it worse if i had a *proper* drink as well before going to bed

also tried fennel infusions........

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:47:57 »
I've had a lot of problems with broken sleep, pains in my shoulders making it hard to sleep on my side for too long, and a snoring problem doesn't help, I've been looking for hop pillows, someone on here used to make them, but I can't for the life of me remember who.   ???     :-\     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:07:38 »
I think it is important to have a quiet half an hour before bed,no TV or computer just sit quietly and wind down a bit.I think very often an over active mind ,thinking about this and that can keep you awake.Also the bedroom being too warm can keep you awake.

If all else fails a slug of night nurse knocks me out no problem but not something to do on a regular basis.  :)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:17:16 »
When I went to the doctor due to lack of sleep (before I set upon someone in pure frustration, lol) some of the things he said to me:

Avoid any kind of stimulants for a good few hours before bed time (this also includes any kind of chocolate)
Wind down the tv watching/computer usage
Make sure you have a tidy/organised room - as apparently a messy bedroom does impact on sleep?
Make sure your bedroom is well aired (bone of contention between OH and I as I like the window open, he likes it closed!)
Don't eat for a good couple of hours before bed as the body temp rises whilst trying to digest it.
And obviously as much exercise as is possible (which I know isn't possible in your case at the mo, Ace)
Work out things that are worrying you before you go to bed.  Organise them in your mind and 'tuck them away' with a resolution so you are not sub-consciously (sp?) taking them to sleep with you.

Some people suggest some light reading which I enjoy at bed time anyway but I do wonder if reading stimulates more than relaxes the brain due to concentration?

I'm very interested to see what has worked for other troubled sleepers :)

Good luck, Ace.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:19:36 by SamLouise »

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 11:22:44 »
Most of the suggestions on here are for getting off to sleep whereas ACE has said he has no problems there.  His problem is waking up halfway through the night, after 4 hours sleep.  

ACE, although the pain has gone, it may be that your body has got used to waking at that time, perhaps from the period when you had medication.  Once you start doing a lot more, I am sure you will sleep right through the night.  If you start taking anything in the early hour your body will get used to that too.  Just hang in there and time will sort it out.  Are you back at work yet?

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:30:09 »
I often wake after 4 or 5 hours of sleep. I try to tell myself that lying quietly thinking is almost as good as sleep, whereas panic about not being able to cope during the day is definitely not.

I put the radio on very quietly in the dark and drift in and out of the world service.

I mesmerise myself by mentally digging neglected patches of my allotments, spade in, spade out, turn over, pull out the weeds, repeat, repeat, repeat......

I felt a bit foolish about this at first, but it works quite well, and now I have decided to call it meditation.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 11:33:29 »
I'm with Pauline ;D

ACE, I think you have created a new (unhelpful) sleeping pattern and you just need to reset your body clock.  Here a couple of things to try:

- When you feel yourself waking up, keep your eyes closed and do whatever you do to get off to sleep.
- If you have opened your eyes and the little men are running around making lists, plans etc then find a comfy spot, snuggle down and imagine that your head is heavy as lead, that you are sinking back in to your pillow and that all thoughts are sinking into the blackness....
- or a more brutal way - get up when you wake up and stay awake all day, go to bed at your usual time and after a few days of that you will sleep the sleep of the dead.

It will take a while to create a new sleeping habit, so keep at it.

Hope that helps

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 11:37:05 »
Most of the suggestions on here are for getting off to sleep whereas ACE has said he has no problems there.  His problem is waking up halfway through the night, after 4 hours sleep.  

ACE, although the pain has gone, it may be that your body has got used to waking at that time, perhaps from the period when you had medication.  Once you start doing a lot more, I am sure you will sleep right through the night.  If you start taking anything in the early hour your body will get used to that too.  Just hang in there and time will sort it out.  Are you back at work yet?

Pauline, all of the suggestions from my doctor came after I told him that my falling asleep is not a problem, I can fall asleep in five minutes but I'm awake again an hour or so later.  Then I'll drift off for an hour and wake up again for 2-3hrs etc etc.  I think it's all about setting the mind and body in the right place that the relaxation will carry through the entire night.

But I agree that it's also about breaking the pattern that has formed with waking up during the night :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 11:38:38 »
Try a drop or two of essential oil of marjoram on your pillow...no more than that though as it is very powerful.

Lavender or chamomile works wonders too.

When I studied aromatherapy as part of my beauty therapy course we had to carry out massages on other students. Monday morning was aromatherapy day and we all ended up quite chilled out afterwards.

So Ace get Mrs Ace to give you a *theraputic massage* before bedtime.
ALWAYS MIX THE ESSENTIAL OIL WITH A CARRIER OIL

4 drops to 10 mls of carrier oil.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 12:11:22 »
Ace, take 2 nytol, tabs about half hour before bed maybe horlicks with them if you lke it or warm something you like not tea.  it does work should get you to 6/7am. good luck do give it a try. ;D

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 12:30:52 »
I've tried hop & lavender before & it tends to work well for me. Can also just sprinkle a bit of lavender oil on your pillow. Just a good job we pick the hops outside at work or I'd be asleep in the bag!

I've had periods where I couldn't stay asleep, generally over christmas when I'm not so active out in the fresh air. It may be worth trying nytol or similar for a couple of nights just to break the cycle. No need to carry on with it on a permanent basis.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 13:21:44 »
i too swear by lavendar and have just discovered an avon product lavendar pillow spray
however when im working nights and out of kilter trying to sleep on days i swear by nytol
i often think the worst bit is lying there thinking im gonna be really tired if i dont get to sleep now etc and this wound me up more so now i just try to relax and think at least im resting
good luck there is nothing worse

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 14:31:26 »
Lavender is the one I will try first, now I know why I always nod off on the bus as there is always the wiff of lavender about with all the old biddys using their free bus pass ;D

Paulines 7, Back at work in a way but not in the nursery yet, just researching for next years gardens and filling in all the paperwork that goes with them. I have been advised not to start digging yet. It is frowned upon anyway, but I can use the other leg with practise I hope.

Lot of good suggestions but aromatherapy with the Yeti massaging would be a step too far.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 18:40:49 »
Get her to rub it on your feet if you can't manage it yourself Ace ;) ;D. If you can't face that what about a foot spa with the oils in it. There again I don't see you as a foot spa man, wonder why? ::)

I had the same problem with fibromyalgia, & after nearly 4 months of waking at 4am had to resort to tablets & have found a lovely side effect. The arthritis in my spine is no longer giving me problems. Can't be bad. BTW they're not sleeping tablets.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 19:17:34 »
hop pillows  :o probably the best hop pillow is in the liquid form  ;D or maybe too much G & T lately?

sleep patterns will settle when your lifestyle has

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 19:21:05 »
If you can't face that what about a foot spa with the oils in it.

Do you know, that ain't a bad idea, the Yeti has hankered after one for a while know. I looked them up and found one on offer so I ordered it. Massages, bubbles, infra red heating, got to be worth a try. Thankyou.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 20:03:33 »
Pleasure, we will only believe it if you post pictures ;D.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal