Author Topic: help, talk me through it AGA!  (Read 1684 times)

ACE

• Hectare
help, talk me through it AGA!
« on: December 24, 2010, 11:01:50 »
fish kettle on to to heat up the court bouillon so we can lower the salmon in later, but it will not come to the simmer. What are we doing wrong, electric 2 oven aga.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: help, talk me through it AGA!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 11:09:19 »
have you got it on top of the hob or have you got it in the simmering oven, when poaching a whole salmon i allways put it in the kettle while cold  then bring it to a simmer.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:18:41 »
Ah right, bung it in the oven instead of the top. I can't understand it, the tea kettle boils alright and the thing is hotter than a place I am heading to if I can't get the salmon done for tea. Perhaps we had better leave the lid on while the herbs and bits heat up.

Thanks for that.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:34:07 »
if you have the water already at a simmer lower the salmon in leave for 2 mins simmering and then turn the heat off and leave it there, it will finish cooking as it cools.
it may take longer on the hob to boil because the surface area of the salmon kettle is less than a round pan.
its quicker and easier to do it on top of the hob once the bullion is near boiling, you could use the normal kettle to get the water boiling pour into the the salmon kettle and do it that way.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:38:21 by hippydave »
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 11:36:21 »
Stuff dissolved in water raises its boiling point a bit..... Aga's are funny things sometimes...

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 11:45:29 »
Going away like a goodun now. Heated the bouillon in saucepan, bunged it in the fish kettle, let it go for a while then put it in the simmering oven. Life savers all of you. ;D

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 11:50:51 »
Ace once the water is heated and the salmon is in and has been brought back to the simmer, it dosnt have to go back in the oven as it will finish cooking as it cools if the lid is left on the kettle, just leave it on the hob and turn hob off and leave it there. it will cook through.the fish is ready when the large fin on the center of the back  pulls out easily

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:54:28 »
Righty Ho. It is a big fish at least 4k I'm taking it off the heat at 12. Cheers, Have a drink. I am ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 12:20:55 »
Sounds a bit fishy to me...
Have a drink for me as I'm designated driver this evening so have about twelve hours to wait for mine...  :(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal