Author Topic: Seed sharing circle 2011  (Read 112675 times)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
Re: Seed sharing circle 2011
« Reply #300 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:30 »

Bon Bon is a hybrid variety.  Please don't save seeds from hybrids, they will not breed true.  You can dehybridise a hybrid, but that takes at least 6 years.  

Both Tuffy and Thelma Sanders are outstanding varieties.  It does happen that someone in the circle already has seeds of a variety you offer.  Can't be helped.  In some cases a new 'injection' of seeds from another source can be very beneficial to help broaden the genetic base of seed stocks we hold.  This is a good thing, and allows comparing the two batches, before mixing the old and new seeds, or keeping them separate if appropriate.  

Galina:  How silly of me.....Bon Bon F1!  I should have realised.  Okay, I'm assuming spaghetti might be owned by some.  The reviews of  Tuffy and Thelma are good and I think I will grow both thereby increasing the chances of individuals not having one of them.

I will endeavour to grow some real unusual squash next year, something exciting.

My Golden Sweet and Stephens Pea should be ready by the end of this month.  The pods are drying well.  The whole harvest was kept for the swap but it was worth it as I have hundreds.
However, on harvesting my early onwards for eating I found a few with the smallest of maggots in them.
Which brings me to the question:  If my golden sweet etc have maggots in them, would they do significant damage if left unchecked?  Should I leave to dry normally or pod them now and dry?
The pods are turning quite dry and crispy, but all are at different stages
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:45:09 by Dandytown »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #301 on: July 05, 2011, 17:00:19 »
My Mayoral Blue squash are struggling, the weather here is red hot now ,before  the rain was defeating us, they are growing but not as I would like to see them so fingers crossed, this is the last of the very rare seeds.

On a good point the limas and soya beans are doing excellent  so I think everyone should be OK on those.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #302 on: July 06, 2011, 14:31:03 »
Maggots will destroy some seeds but you'll still get a harvest. I don't worry too much.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2011, 07:43:25 »
Hi
I really like Ian's idea of a blog/site to capture the growing info of these varieties. It's something I've started to do for my own stuff, as I realised there wasn't enough info out there on particular varieties or seed saving. I kept coming across interesting articles, but found they didn't answer all my questions. I've sort of captured how to do Kale, with photos, so can offer these to the group if it helps.

Anyway, progress...... Kale is in, and like Robert I have ridiculous quantities, but only 1 variety.
The radish seem to have struggled in the dry so will try another batch.
Have some interesting lettuce varieties on the go
Lemon drop chillies, should be ok
the peppers, look likely, but fingers crossed
And as for Peas, Telephone and Champion of England have done superbly, Winterkeefe has done well and the Magnum Bonum from HSl is looking like a possibility.
All in all, very early in the season for me, and windy days, like today, don't help!
And I won't mention the Fennel........

10  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2011, 15:15:45 »
Wow, lots here for me to catch up on  ;D

Just thought I'd share;

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]

Mashua plants are full of flowers and seed pods are forming, bees seem to be loving the flowers. But the seed pods are proving really arkward to find once they are about ripe  :-\ I'm finding them just a tad frustrating. I did manage to find and harvest a small amount of seed a few days ago. I've sown these fresh to see if this would lead to germination. I also sowed some of the last saved seed on the off chance.  >:( pesky mice demolished them over night!

Bright side, I suppose being eaten means there was seed inside.
Downside, are they being eaten? I had thought they were more difficult to find as the stems were shriveling and the foliage was hiding them. Now I'm not sure.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2011, 15:22:32 »
Ohhh...how nice looking flowers..something to eyes to feast on as well.. ;D
I don't know if any of you have tried bolivian coriander..I've got some coming to flower..that could be one possibility for seed saving..any thoughts?
I had some other night with the stirfry...ohh..lovely..really fragrant flavour..strong but no bitter or lingering after taste.. ;D..and soo easy to grow and no worries for it bolting..still plenty of leaves to use as you only need small quantities at the time.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #306 on: July 12, 2011, 15:28:18 »
Ohhh...how nice looking flowers..something to eyes to feast on as well.. ;D
I don't know if any of you have tried bolivian coriander..I've got some coming to flower..that could be one possibility for seed saving..any thoughts?
I had some other night with the stirfry...ohh..lovely..really fragrant flavour..strong but no bitter or lingering after taste.. ;D..and soo easy to grow and no worries for it bolting..still plenty of leaves to use as you only need small quantities at the time.

That sounds really interesting, to have a coriander that does not bolt, i do hope that you are able to save seeds on this  ;D

Kx

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #307 on: July 12, 2011, 15:52:00 »
Ate my first Koralik tomato yesterday.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2011, 17:40:08 »
My Mayoral Blue squash are struggling, the weather here is red hot now ,before  the rain was defeating us, they are growing but not as I would like to see them so fingers crossed, this is the last of the very rare seeds.

On a good point the limas and soya beans are doing excellent  so I think everyone should be OK on those.

XX Jeannine

fingers crossed - these are very rare squashes.  Wish you best of luck from now on with them.  Great news on the beans.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2011, 17:46:59 »
Code: [Select]
to have a coriander that does not bolt...well it does...but it doesn't effect cropping.. ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #310 on: July 12, 2011, 18:02:35 »
How pretty are these mashua flowers - wow!  The colours are so similar to oca flowers, but oca flower much later and not at all some years.  Wish you best of luck with them.  OK on finding the seeds.  Since you are trailblazing here it looks like probably nobody can advise you how to find them easier.   ;D

Bolivian coriander - yes please.  That would be lovely.

Magnum Bonum pea is a firm favourite here.  Brilliant choice for the circle.

I have just been winnowing seeds of the winter lettuce pomme brune d'hiver for the circle.  So easy in this wind, but I winnowed with a deep bowl.  Had I used my normal soup plate I could have easily lost all seeds!  Some of the Grandpa Admires lettuces are finally starting to stretch.  These do really last well before showing any signs of bolting.  Let's hope for a dry late August/September to get lots of seeds.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #311 on: July 13, 2011, 18:18:22 »
My angelica should have ripe seed before long. It's a good seven feet high, and rather spectacular.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #312 on: July 18, 2011, 11:27:17 »
My peas and mange tout are all dried and bagged up. 

Jaybe sent me a small HSL seed set earlier in the year and from the 20 seeds each of Stephens Pea and Golden Sweet Mangetout I have grown, dried and bagged a minnimum of 50 seeds of each for everyone in the seed swap and I still have some left.

I was a little busy this year and only harvested a little, hence the amount saved.  I didnt have time to harvest the peas and mangetout when young so they lost their flavour as they matured.  A lesson learnt for next year.

My edamame are drying and should be bagged up soon.  The harvest was very good and as above I didnt get to eat any as I missed the boat in terms of harvesting at the right time.  The harvest would have been double had I not ignored the greenfly which eventually brough down the plant.  I did start the seeds very early but may have struck lucky with the unusually warm spring thus avoiding the rediculous weather we are having now.

Jayb:  Should I hold on to the seeds until you are ready or could I send them in a few weeks?  If now, what do I need to do?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #313 on: July 18, 2011, 12:01:44 »
Ohhh..somebody has been busy busy.. ;D you've done well...
50 seeds each...very generous packets..

Skans Margart peas are coming on VERY WELL over here.. ;D And now that there is soooo many pods hanging on..I've had bit of tasters too..just for scientific purposes.. ;) And I can report that peas were tasting their best when they were in full size almost bursting out of the pods but still green and fresh..not too mature. I found this bit suprising as usually I like my peas best when they are still tad undersize. But these will do nicely..big peas..as individual pea size..pods are sort of average to large size with 7-9 peas in them..I'll check the details more carefully when time comes for 'cleaning' the pods ;D
I can't wait now to have another go at these next year and see how the peas compare.
Paula has done all flowering now and the pods are in maturing stage..first ones are starting to wrinkle so soon I tidy them into GH to dry off.
To see how they soak and cook as dry peas won't be till next year once the seed stock in increased..but certainly have grown well here.

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2011, 14:36:53 »
my gusto purple chilli seems to be doing ok so i am crossing my fingers. my peter pepper is not so good, it has only now started to fruit so i hope that i can get something to ripen.

:)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2011, 15:19:47 »
Code: [Select]
it has only now started to fruit so i hope that i can get something to ripenPlenty of time for that..you'll be shoveling ripe fruit before then.. ;)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2011, 19:18:42 »
My selection of soya beans and limas are doing well, the Alma paprika pepper is really good too, very doubtful of my Mayoral Blue squash but trying very hard here on that one.

All in all  with only things grown in my high beds and geenhouse  we are doing OK.. zilch from my normal grwoing bareas because of the flooded areas this year.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #317 on: July 20, 2011, 17:25:37 »
Wow DandyTown sounds like you are doing great!
Everything seems very slow at the moment - my peas are still in the ground, starting to dry off, but with the recent wet weather things are taking a bit longer than anticipated.
Chillies have started to flower, so crossed fingers for some Lemon Drops
The radish, are finally bulking up, I've had to thin them out lots, but I'm not sure what to expect next. Must remember to take some photos!
I hope to have some HSL beans for the swap,
Lettuce - still yet to make a final decision but Cimmaron is a stunning lettuce and Black Seeded Simpson is looking like a likely contender, but still early days yet, both are from Baker Creek
Oh, and the Kale is bagged  :-X

Good to hear you have been able to grow some great stuff jeannine, particularly after your wet start

:)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #318 on: July 20, 2011, 17:48:32 »
Hmm, not sure if what I am rowing is unusual enough. I won't be offended if it isn't :)

I have...
 Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce (never gathed lettuce seed before)
Tomato Snowberry
Mini White Cucumber
Lettuce Drunken Women ( I'm keeping the lettuce separate)
Jackie

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #319 on: July 20, 2011, 18:02:10 »
Sound fab to me!
I'm growing Drunken Woman and Fat Lazy Blonde as well. Ate some of the drunken Woman the other day - very nice, tasty and pretty looking  :) I might just concentrate on Cimmaron for the seed circle for now  :-\
[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal