Author Topic: Seed sharing circle 2011  (Read 110495 times)

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
Re: Seed sharing circle 2011
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2011, 18:28:01 »
Can I join please?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2011, 18:29:04 »
Hi Jayb,
 I have just sown the original Tommy Toe seeds,same batch , it should come full size,but wonder if it will throw a funny branch again,very doubtful but sown as a comparison.

Also sown are the seeds that came from that funny branch this what you grew from.

And finally sown seeds that came from plants grown from that funny branch.

Three generations together, to watch the growth pattern.

I think the only thing we can be fairly sure of is we have a very small plant now !!

I think I will now stick with Tiny Toes as a name,it was temporary if you remember, I can't think of anything better.So.. welcome officially little one!!

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2011, 20:32:11 »

Code: [Select]
from memory they were roughly the size of yours..well mine never made decent size..well large..last year..thick yes, but not much height. Only like really thick spring onions.
I'm still not really sure what I'll produce for the circle..I've got so many 'irons on fire' at the same time but when time comes I'm sure there is plenty.. ;D
All the beans are sown now..so its just waiting game to see what those may do.
 ;D Tiny toes is excellent name..very catchy and it stands out.. ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2011, 20:47:18 »
I've got 3 generations of the 'Mols lol' leeks going on..those from last years bulbils haven't done much growth..I suspect of  the dry weather. 2 yrs old bulbs..have made almost 'normal' size leeks..and 3 year old bamtam egg size bulb has made really, really good size leek. That one is first to show sign of flower stalk.
I grew all the diffent size bulbs in same time just to see how much growth they really do put on in comparison.
Looks like that the discription that I gave in earlier post that they are not that fast growers that I remembered.. :-[ But time will tell..and all is not lost yet with my trial..we just need really good soaking and things get properly growing. Even my 'normal' leeks have hardly put any growth on and they've been in ground for weeks.
Now I just wait the first flower head to bloom so I can have really good look at that...I'm sure I've never seen them being able to set seeds...If that's so...I can say they are not the 'Mols Lol' leek but Wild leek..mother of them all.. ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2011, 11:07:17 »
I now have a dozen seedheads on my Babington Leeks.  As every seedhead (hopefully) makes 20 odd bulbils, there should be enough to go round the circle.

I planted my original batch of bulbils (which was a HSL seed guardian present many years ago) in October, they eventually showed some weedy small growth the following spring (I am glad I kept a note where I had planted them).  They died down again in late summer and came back very strongly the following year.  Grew into a decent sized leek, which later developed a flower stalk (scape) that eventually  formed bulbils and a largish mild garlic bulb in the ground too.  Once they are established, they will be there for good and need a permanent corner in the garden, they can't really be crop rotated.   They survived last winter without damage and once established are entirely trouble-free. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2011, 11:15:01 »

;D Tiny toes is excellent name..very catchy and it stands out.. ;D

I agree.  Thank you for explaining the origin of these tomatoes.  Sounds like a genuine mutation that is likely to be true-breeding.  Looking forward to growing them as and when you feel that you are ready to share seeds. 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2011, 13:26:53 »
Update from the south coast........
  • The pea's I've amassed to sow this year, and based on the great growing tips from folks on here, are doing fantastically. Dripping with peas! YESSSS!!  8)
  • Whether or not I'll be able to differentiate between the varieties is another thing - NOOO!!   :-[   
  • The lettuce, in this dry weather, will probably bolt - NO!!  :( 
  • winter lettuce might be in with a chance as it was slow to go to seed, time will tell  :-\ 
  • The fennel, well we'll have to wait another year.... however it did self seed from last year  ::)
  • Carrots from HSL - poor germination 
  • Radish - looking like a possible 
  • French beans - dwarf ones looking miserable at the moment, but hopefully they'll pick up
  • Climbers just gone in .....

and FINALLY but certainly not LEAST .........
  • the KALE has sloooooowly formed it's seed heads and they are slooooooowly drying out.

I'm not crossing my fingers  ::)  :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2011, 13:38:13 »
Oh..that sounds ok..nothing drastically wrong then.. ;D
Yep..I'm having good pea yield with earlier too..others outside are not even flowering stage yet but plants look happy enough.
Lettuce didn't like in hot GH so I have to get another batch going on...
Dwarf beans are only just going out, but all look good so far..and weather forecast is reasonably good a while so they should take ok.

ROBEEERT...how's your peas? Have you got those ones going that I sent for you? I was just wondering if you are able to tell what sort of peas Paula variety are..?
Mine are growing in deep buckets and I just cannot tell if Paula is stretched out 'normal' type or climbing.. ::) They are now about 5 ft..and not a single flower showing yet....and I was so sure they would be some sort of short type.. ;D ::) The other, Swedish pea, is growing outside as normal..but those are growing much slower pace so I cannot tell yet what they 'do'.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2011, 18:45:52 »
They're coming along, but it's too early to say what those two will turn into. If Paula is five feet high it's definitely a climbing pea; the only difference is the internode length. I've a feeling the other one is as well. Pigeons are being worse than ever, so I've just netted all the peas; I've still got several trays to put out. I've just been planting out climbing beans, brassicas and oca today.

I need to find more varieties of oca. the more I have, the bigger the gene pool, and the more chance I've got of getting seed. Other people have got seed, but I've never seen a pod yet. Ruthless selection from seedlings is the only way we might get a decent variety for this climate. It worked for potatoes.

The spinach rushed to seed, so I pulled everything which produced flowerbuds when it was half grown, and I'll save seed from the rest. That way I'll at least get something!

I haven't put in any dwarf beans yet, but I mean to if I've got the space a bit later on. Sweet corn and squashes have yet to go out. I'd love to do some corn breeding, but don't have the space.

What variety of kale is it, 1066?

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2011, 22:36:56 »
Oh..that sounds ok..nothing drastically wrong then.. ;D

Emphasis on the yet!!

Robert, it's a cavalo nero - very tasty. And if it works, I'll try my hand at some other varieties I have.........

I'd love more space to try a few more things as well - like lentils and chick peas. Maybe one day?!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2011, 07:56:27 »
It should be easy if you're only doing the one. I'm trying for two brassicas next year, but it's going to mean netting them on alternate days to stop cross-breeding. I've put some achocha in, but it's a bit late and I don't know whether I'll get anything off it.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2011, 08:09:55 »
yes, the effort, and time needed for brassicas is huge, something I can't do right now. I just hope my feeble attempt works well!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2011, 20:27:53 »
I've just finished planting out the climbing beans; six Frenchies and a runner. A couple got a bit frosted, but they'll recover if the slugs don't get them. There should be some seeds from that lot!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2011, 21:18:34 »
Reading about the oca.. I see it now and again in my Ethnic supermarket,, would it be worth sending  a few tubers over there or would it be what you already have.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2011, 22:14:23 »
I've no idea, but it would be worth trying! It's probably going to be different, as the range of cultivars available over here is pretty limited, but I don't know.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2011, 22:27:22 »
I will keep my eyes open.. don't know when but I won't forget. We get all kinds of roots and things in this particular supermarket.. saw taro last week some huge things , then some baby ones.
Sevarl  different  varieties coloured sweet potaoes and yams too.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #216 on: June 04, 2011, 18:37:35 »
Code: [Select]
If Paula is five feet high it's definitely a climbing peaYep...I've just had another look..its grown like mad and it is 6ft now..and first flower buds are just starting show. From so tiny seeds comes so big plants.. ???.I had bit of 'panic attack' in GH as it already was reaching the roof.. ::) So I manage to secure my plants around couple of canes and then carried the whole lot outside..dug a hole and dropped the whole bucket it, canes and twine around and now they can romp away as much as they want..only sky is the limit.. ;D..and the canes.. :-X Oh..and not to forget a netting..cheeky sparrows were muching away some of my other peas while I was standing almost next to them.. :o..cheeky sods..

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #217 on: June 04, 2011, 19:09:10 »
Just popped in to say my various kinds of soya beans are all doing well and the limas are looking good too, so I may have somethingb after all !!

XX Jeannine

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:09 »
Oooo, that sounds great Jeannine, I tried Soya last year, and not a great success, but then our late summer/ autumn was pants. Looking forward to trying them again  ;)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #219 on: June 08, 2011, 11:56:05 »
Good to heara about your Soya beans Jeannine.  I too have some although I didnt see them flower so the beans came as a suprise.  I have 12 plants with at least 5 pods on them (and more pods to develop) so that could give me at least 120 beans but lets not get ahead of my self.

How many of us are there in the seed share?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal