Author Topic: Very mild chillies...  (Read 4390 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Very mild chillies...
« on: December 20, 2010, 01:19:59 »
I know it's a different direction to most, but someone gavee me a pdish of something in the summer that tasted like a very mild chilli, stuffed with cheese and cut into small rounds.... anyone know any really mild chillies? Preferably with that sort of smoky taste that some have too.... would be perfect with some cream cheese done like that.....

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Very mild chillies...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 23:55:11 »
Smoky, stuffing-sized chilli sounds a bit like Mulato/Ancho/Poblano - apparently Mulato is the more smoky one - I bought some dried ones that certainly are (and are flexible enough to survive stuffing) but I haven't tried growing it yet.

They can of course be smoked first to strengthen the effect.

There are other big mild chillies but Poblano (called Ancho when dried) does extremely well in a good season.

The big thick skinned rocoto is also much recommended for stuffing (rellenos) but could never be called mild - or even medium for that matter...

You can also buy mild smoky pimientos canned in olive oil that are just big enough to stuff - expensive but absolutely delicious.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:09:25 »
Hungarian Hot Wax is not as hot as the name suggests.  Pasilla Bajio is the mildest of the hot peppers.  Hungarian Apple peppers (alma paprika) are apple shaped (though smaller than an apple) and excellent for stuffing with cream cheese because they are very thick walled.  They pack a punch, but don't burn your mouth with their heat.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:45:24 »
Might well have been Poblano's.... which I ought to remember as one of my favourite Glastonbury moments was sitting in the dance field with a group of 30-something friends and having teenagers asking me what my trainers were.... I was chuffed, my mates were impressed at my hip shoes.... Diadora Poblano cycling shoes cos I wanted something waterproof on my feet and having ridden the Sinclaior C5 down there, every last ounce was important......

Kevlar upper, laces concelaed by zip, it's like wearing corsets on your feet but they look cool :D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 00:06:16 »
Hungarian Hot Wax is not as hot as the name suggests.  Pasilla Bajio is the mildest of the hot peppers.  Hungarian Apple peppers (alma paprika) are apple shaped (though smaller than an apple) and excellent for stuffing with cream cheese because they are very thick walled.  They pack a punch, but don't burn your mouth with their heat.

Very interesting that your Alma Paprika come out hot - mine were sold as mild and are - very - look like miniature white bell peppers until they ripen  - unfortunately they don't have any more flavour than a sweet pepper either - unlike Poblanos.

I have seen some suppliers sell them as hot, but always assumed that was ignorance talking (since paprika is traditionally sweet) - or just incredibly wimpy tongues (like say, someone who can tell the difference between american mustard and salad dressing in the dark).

It seems there must be two types of Alma and I've got the wrong one!

My Pasilla peppers come out so slim you'd need a sausage machine from a doll's house to stuff them.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 00:54:01 »
Vinlander,

Geza Korbely from Hungary is on several forums and offers Hungarian seed exchanges.  He has both a sweet and a hot alma (apple pepper) in his listing.  You could ask him.  Or trust that the seed suppliers who say hot actually mean hot. 

Yes, my Pasillas are narrow too, but they have that smokey flavour chrisc asked for.  They can be slit open lengthways all the way and filled that way.  It looks nice with a bit of cream cheese actually showing.

I had to laugh about the sausage machine from a doll's house stuffing a pepper  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal