Author Topic: Favorite Cake Recipes  (Read 4500 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Favorite Cake Recipes
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:28:20 »
I want to bake for my kids but only seem to bake the same two/three things so I was hoping so of you would share your favorite cake recipes?

I don't mind what sort of cake I bake as long as its not coffee.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Favorite Cake Recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:51:45 »
hmm you didn't say what ones you did bake  ;) I have got lots of recipes that I bake, but my kids unfortunately aren't great cake eaters, I will share with you the ones that in general people like. I will PM you, I guess.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:59:26 »
I just tend to stick to cookies, flapjack etc. its no wonder my kids get bored of my baking.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 13:25:09 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_drizzle_cake_66665

Made this (well a versio of it) a while back and it's a keeper!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 13:26:10 »
I have to admit that there are so many cakes and desserts for sale for around £1 in the freezers of all the supermarkets that I don't bother baking them any more as I can not do it for the price.

There is one cake or rather fruit loaf I used to make years ago which is rather good for you too. It is gooey in the middle too which is rather nice. So don't bother testing to see if it is cooked with a skewer like you would a normal fruit cake.

I was told to use any a container (like a mug) and measure each ingredient as one of each however I could not recall how long to bake it or the oven temperature, so I looked on line and found some one Else's recipe which looks about the same but the ingredients are weighed. I  have cut and pasted it for you.

Ingredients

* 1 pint milk,
    * 8 oz. All-Bran (or shop's own equivalent)
    * 1 lb. 4 oz. mixed dried fruit
    * 10 oz. sugar (white or any brown type)
    * 8 oz. self-raising flour

Method
Put all ingredients except flour in a bowl and leave to soak overnight (or at least an hour). Mix in the flour, pour into a greased and lined loaf  tin and bake at  Gas Mark 4 (350'F, 180'C) for about an hour.

You can use soya milk for this instead of cows milk if you want to. It keeps fairly well and seems to get more sticky, which I like, as it matures.

You can add spice if you like it too and any dried fruit will work. It is probably the one of easiest recipe ever and something you can get kids to make on their own Other than burning it, you can't go wrong with this.

The only other thing I would bake are home made scones as freshly baked straight out of the oven, still a little warm, there is nothing nicer. They honestly are better with milk which is 'on the turn' but a little cream of tartar added to the mix (about a teaspoon) if you have it in, makes a difference. I have added a recipe but feel sure you have one.

http://www.robertprice.co.uk/robblog/archive/2005/1/Plain_Scones_Recipe.shtml

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 13:29:22 »
Flourless chocolate cake.. yum! Not keen on stodgy things but this is just melt in the mouth.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/recipes/article479117.ece

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 13:36:28 »
I've got a great recipe for Malteser Slices which my teenagers love, will PM it to you later.   :)
Lizann :0)

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 13:41:58 »
This is not strictly baking, but tastes great! 

MALTESER SLICES

4oz marg
1 tablespoon syrup
6oz cooking choc (I use supermarket own brand eating chocolate, very cheap kind, rather than cooking choc as it tastes better)
10 oz crushed digestive biscs
6oz Maltesers (large bag)
Large bar white chocolate

Melt marg and syrup and 6oz chocolate together.  Add crushed biscuits and mix well till coated.  Add Maltesers last.  Press mixture into tin (mine is about 8" x 10" by about 1" deep)  Cover with melted white chocolate.  Put in fridge to cool and set and then cut into squares. 

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 13:43:40 »
any chance you do the same for me- my OH loves maltesers it would be a great surprise for him.
thanks in advance-anne x

ah just see you've posted it so thanks again

Lizann

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 13:48:19 »
Yes, decided it was too good not to share. 

Enjoy. 

LA

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 13:56:36 »
Possum, now 15, has requested chcolate carrot cake for her birthday and any other occasion since she was 3.  The recipe is on this thread - http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,27315.0.html - along with a couple more carroty cakes.

This weekend I made Lemon Polenta cake (Nigella Lawson) and Delia Smith's own favourite ginger cake.  The recipes are on their websites.  They wre a big hit with Possum and the Belgians.
Obxx - Vendée France

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 19:51:36 »
Purple Heather, my kids used to love that cake recipe.  I had it from an All Bran recipe book.  Because of the amount of sugar, dried fruit and All Bran in it,  they used to call it 'Poo Cake'.  Have to say its delicious cold and buttered, but I advise no more than one slice at a time or you will soon not be able to leave the house without  find out where all the public loo's in your area are  :-\
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 10:00:49 »
Mimi, if the allbran fruit loaf has that effect then it is most likely because the body has been storing up. 

After a couple of days of unloading the surplus stash, most people find that things return to 'once a day'.

It is certainly a pleasant way to overcome an unwanted problem of  retention which quite a few people suffer from.

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 11:27:44 »
If only more people ate All bran loaf it would save the NHS a fortune in laxatives!!!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 23:00:29 »
Thanks everyone.  :) I made the Malteser Slices (in the fridge right now) and will give all the others a go and report back.

If anyone else has a favorite cake recipe they'd like to share...

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 13:59:03 »
I thought I got the following recipe on this thread but seemingly not.

I was about to report back that I had tried it and it is simple to make and turns out wonderful..

In case any one does not like coffee or rum, water or any liquid will do.

Ingredients
Serves 6

Prep: 20 min
Cook: 50 min or less

200g dark, bitter chocolate
1 tbsp strong espresso coffee
1 tbsp rum or brandy
150g caster sugar
150g butter
100g ground almonds
5 eggs, separated
Icing sugar for dusting

METHOD

Melt the chocolate, coffee, rum or brandy, sugar and butter in a bowl sitting in a pot of barely simmering water. Remove from the heat and stir until well mixed.

Add the ground almonds and mix well. Beat in the egg yolks, one by one.

Beat the egg whites until stiff and peaky, and stir a couple of spoonfuls into the chocolate mixture to lighten it, before gently folding in the rest.

Turn into a buttered and floured 20cm (8in) round or square cake tin and bake at 180C/Gas 4 for 40 to 50 minutes (less if you like it fudgey, more if you like it cakey).

Leave to cool before removing gently from the tin, and dust with icing sugar to serve.

I had to use an eight and a half inch square cake tin and found the cake was done in 30 mins so keep checking yours although I suspect my oven is loosing efficiency with it's temperature keeping.

By using a bitter dark chocolate it can be gluten and lactose free which is a bonus.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal